DTS-HD & TrueHD Fail!
Sad 
Hello all,

Firstly I realize that I am using a products which is will WIP in Frodo but I think my problem is something else, first please let me explain my hardware setup...

I have 2 machines, this Desktop which is the latest greatest etc. etc. using Intel i780 CPU and an ATi 7950 GPU, this isn't my media box but I have also used it for testing this, my other machine is a 2.4Ghz Dual Core Intel with a fanless ATi 6450 in it.

Both of these are connected to a Onxyo TX-SR313 amp using HDMI 1.3 cables, the Amp has both TrueHD & DTS-HD, in the case of the TV-Box this goes thought a PulseEight CEC Adapter but I have removed that for the purposes of testing anyway.

Until this week my main XBMC Box has been running XBMC Live for the last few years but I have just converted it over to Windows this week (a long story) so both machines are now Win7 64-Bit, both machines have the latest drivers installed too.

Now about a year ago I tried a release of XBMC with HD Audio added and watched items ok with the Onxyo showing DTS-HD, today if I play either DTS-HD or TrueHD files with support enabled I get no Audio at all and the Frame rate dies, if I disable support for either format or switch to Optical (effectively doing the same I believe) then playback will return to normal, this is exactly the same on both machines on any DTS-HS or TrueHD file.

I have been advised to using LPCM instead which works but is not a long term option for me as I have to keep switching off music enhancements etc. each time I play a file which is no good.

I have tried all manor of configurations and a number of various ATi & Realtek drivers (ATi's built in sound provider) but nothing seems to change, I have also tried 3 Nightly builds (last 3 days), Monthly build & and old Eden Release which someone patched with HD Support (I think this is what I had it working with in my test a year or so ago) but every single piece of software, configuration, method etc. results in the same thing!

I hope someone might know a solution, if you want any further information please ask, if I am out of place asking this before release or asking it he wrong place then sorry.
You can check out the instructions in SETUP section of this thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Unfortunately the only steps I had not tried out of that thread already was to change the rendered to DXVA which I have now done but with no success, still no auto and about 5 FPS! Sad
(2012-11-09, 20:10)stu_u2k Wrote: Unfortunately the only steps I had not tried out of that thread already was to change the rendered to DXVA which I have now done but with no success, still no auto and about 5 FPS! Sad
Have you try different HDMI cable or different HDMI port on your AVR? The cable and port can go bad....

I have tried from 2 machines, using 2 different HDMI Cables plugged into different ports on the AV, this is also the same setup as I have had since it was working though that obviously says little, still I have tried yet another cable still but as soon as I play TrueHD or DTS-HD it grinds to an almost halt and I get no sound at all.
Do you have the proper graphics card drivers installed?
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Yes as advised latest ATi in both cases, I have tried the last two revisions too in case, I am trying TMT now just to double check things, but I have also checked the reported EDID which is correct, can't figure out whats going on.
(2012-11-09, 23:05)stu_u2k Wrote: I have tried from 2 machines, using 2 different HDMI Cables plugged into different ports on the AV, this is also the same setup as I have had since it was working though that obviously says little, still I have tried yet another cable still but as soon as I play TrueHD or DTS-HD it grinds to an almost halt and I get no sound at all.
Do you see TrueHD and DTS-HD options in Windows control panel? If you don't see these options, you might want to Google EDID override for solution....
Ok both TMT & PowerDVD have issues too, both can play normal DTS though, very, odd, going to go right back on ATi Drivers now see if that helps...
No help there either, I don't get it, it is shown as a supported format in windows 192k Bit Stream works so why shouldn't DTSMA, odd but clearly not XBMCs fault, still if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks.
(2012-11-10, 02:47)stu_u2k Wrote: No help there either, I don't get it, it is shown as a supported format in windows 192k Bit Stream works so why shouldn't DTSMA, odd but clearly not XBMCs fault, still if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks.
It's time to visit this thread- EDID Overrides to solve bitstreaming issues for ATI 5xxx's.....

Ok I have found the problem, just not the solution (yet).

Basically the Windows detects the Onkyo incorrectly and I have had to install a custom EDID Override (see thread link below), strangely the one I created following instructions and another for my AV didn't work but another one I have found works to an extent.

Meaning that I can now play DTS-HD MA or TrueHD using my AV as the decoder but it only plays at 48Hz, arg, back to it tomorrow I guess, I will need to chase this elsewhere now so I will go quiet on this thread, I will update it if I find a fix though.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227161/edid-o...-ati-5xxxs
(2012-11-10, 06:44)stu_u2k Wrote: Meaning that I can now play DTS-HD MA or TrueHD using my AV as the decoder but it only plays at 48Hz, arg, back to it tomorrow I guess, I will need to chase this elsewhere now so I will go quiet on this thread, I will update it if I find a fix though.
If it is bitstreaming to AVR for decoding, it should transmitted the original format entirely. It is up to your AVR to decode and process it.....

If you want to see what audio codec is in your movie, you can verify it with this- MediaInfo...

Hi Bluray,

One step ahead of you but thanks still (actually I use Ember Media Manager's Scan MetaData function instead these days (does the same thing) but have checked the files in MediaInfo to be sure too, also one of them I have had working before.

I am getting somewhere thought now, I have a custom EDID file which allows me to play both DTS-HD & TrueHD files but for some reason only at 48Hz not 192k though PCM works with the same setup at 192k, odd, I have posted on there to see if anyone can give me some tips or a fix, the version I am using now is for a "Onkyo TX-NR509" so it's not entirely surprising that it's not 100% functional.

I'll update this thread when I hear back from then, thanks again anyway all.
(2012-11-10, 08:02)stu_u2k Wrote: Hi Bluray,

One step ahead of you but thanks still (actually I use Ember Media Manager's Scan MetaData function instead these days (does the same thing) but have checked the files in MediaInfo to be sure too, also one of them I have had working before.

I am getting somewhere thought now, I have a custom EDID file which allows me to play both DTS-HD & TrueHD files but for some reason only at 48Hz not 192k though PCM works with the same setup at 192k, odd, I have posted on there to see if anyone can give me some tips or a fix, the version I am using now is for a "Onkyo TX-NR509" so it's not entirely surprising that it's not 100% functional.

I'll update this thread when I hear back from then, thanks again anyway all.
Okay....good luck!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS-HD & TrueHD Fail!0