How do i get started - capture card for Cable.
Hi...

I've been using XBMC for years. I would like to add PVR functions. I have Comcast digital cable. What are my choices? Do I have to get something with a cable card? Can I start with just the basic channels and add the cable card later or do all the channels need a cable card? It would be great to hear from anyone that has PVR working with Comcast cable and can suggest hardware and software.

Thanks
I have comcast cable, Digital Preferred if I remember correctly..

I use a Silicondust HDHomerun Prime, with Cablecard. The backend software is Fedora 17 with MythTV, and schedulesdirect.org for the EPG information.

With this setup, you get all the channels EXCEPT the pay channels - ie, HBO, SHO. If you want everything, you'll need to use Windows for all channels, or a different capture setup (a HDPvr that hooks to your cable box, for example.) I also have no comcast cable boxes in my house, and to access OnDemand I use either a web browser or the Android client.
Thanks tdavis

I just ordered the HD Homerun Prime. Just to be clear.... if I want to record a show from HBO (which I pay for) I can ONLY run windows? If I stick with a Linux setup should I install the FULL Ubuntu AND the other software or should I use XBMCbuntu?

Thanks
You will have to record via windows media center for premium channel content
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Got it!

Thanks again. I just ordered my HD Homerun Prime.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do i get started - capture card for Cable.0