Win Auto Proxy Configuration & XBMC
Question 
Hello!

(I've tried searching for an answer to this both on this forum and through Google, with no success Confused)

In my workplace, our network connections use an automatic proxy configuration in the browser (Firefox) to access the internet. However, XBMC doesn't recognize the connection to the internet, even though the browser and other software is recognizing it.

Any ways to make XBMC see the internet connection? As there's no area to type in the auto proxy configuration setting in XBMC.

Thanks,

bob101
Your auto proxy config will probably just be pointing the browser at the proxy server + port. Find out what they are and use that.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I know this may come across as a stupid question, but how do I find that information out?

Apologies for being such a novice

bob101
Firefox>Options>Advanced>Network tab>Connection Settings>Manual Proxy Config - with Firefox 16 anyway.
(2012-11-12, 18:45)live4ever Wrote: Firefox>Options>Advanced>Network tab>Connection Settings>Manual Proxy Config - with Firefox 16 anyway.

Just tried that and I just find the Automatic Proxy Configuration URL, but nothing about the proxy server and port.

It looks like this:

bob101
Type said URL into your browser, take a gander in what it spits out.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

So I popped that URL into my browser and it brought up a change log detailing the sectors of the company it had added to the proxy over the years and the IP addresses that can computer can access without using the proxy (all of them are work websites, no surprise there).

What can I do? Any ideas?

bob101
Any ideas/help?

bob101
Anyone have any idea?

bob101
Can you save the .pac file and open in a plain text editor?

Should look something like this:
http://findproxyforurl.com/example-pac-file/
(2012-11-16, 22:37)live4ever Wrote: Can you save the .pac file and open in a plain text editor?

Should look something like this:
http://findproxyforurl.com/example-pac-file/

I've saved that as a txt file, what should I do now?

Sorry if this is dead simple, I'm a novice when it comes to this

bob101
Open the txt file up and have a look.

(2012-11-18, 00:24)jmarshall Wrote: Open the txt file up and have a look.

I've done that, not too sure what I'm looking for so I'll post this:

as I guess this is the most important part of the file. The stuff above it is the change log that I mentioned earlier (detailing when they added parts of the company to the proxy)

What should I take from this?

bob101
Probably the bit in the "return PROXY"

(2012-11-19, 04:00)jmarshall Wrote: Probably the bit in the "return PROXY"

I took this and popped the address in the address section and the port number '3128' in the port number box, but still no joy Sad

I tried it with and without my username and password that I use to log onto my work computer.

Help?!?

bob101

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto Proxy Configuration & XBMC0