Replacement for my Asus Radeon HD 6450 for a bit of gaming?
I fitted a Asus Radeon HD 6450 passive 1GB graphics card in my main HTPC to replace my Nvidia GT430 due to stutter. The Radeon has worked very well for video and audio so far.
I'm starting to do a bit of gaming on it lately and I'm looking for a possible upgrade.
Can anyone recommend a passive AMD graphics card better than the HD 6450 that will still give me good video, HD audio and be better suited towards gaming? the cheaper the better but obviously it will be more than a HD 6450.

Ideally I want it to play nearly any game with better graphics than a 360 but not necessarily on full settings.

If I install a better graphics card do i just keep the same drivers?
Hi T800.... how you been...

What type of PSU you have?

My brother just bought this HD 6770 and he is able to play Diablo 3, LOL, and other games at medium to full settings on 720p some at 1080p.... it's a good card but I know there is better out there.... (read the reviews on newegg..)

Your drivers would be best to have it to what ever is latest at the moment for some games fix issues.

I think if I was going to game I would buy this HD 7870 ..... plays everything at 1080P on full specs... Big Grin
Oh that is right you are going to need a low profile card.... I forgot...

HD 7750.... ? Can't really comment on it since I never have used it...

reviews look good... Blush
Hi Beer40oz,

Not too bad, how are you?
This bloody HTPC bug won't let go. Just when I get one thing working well it's onto the next. PVR, gaming when will it end? Big Grin

The card has to be passive and low height. My PSU is a Antec EarthWatts EA380D.
I might try setting the games to 720p to see how how they look. I'm 11 feet from my 50" 1080p TV so I wouldn't see any difference and my projector is currently only 720p.
Well if you have been playing at full 1080P then I bet you have bad FPS on that card you already own on some games... I used to own a 6450 once... like on Steam there is a free game called Team Fortress 2 I used to play very good on 1080p.... but some latest games oh man....

So if you bring the resolution down to 720p yes you will get better FPS....

Maybe you can test out Team Fortress 2 and see what I mean....

What games do you play?

Oh and I been ok... Smile it's nice to see you post once in a while.
I mainly game on my 360 and sometimes PS3 if something like another Uncharted comes out.
I'm mainly sticking to games that have native 360 gamepad support. I have just tried Bloodstone 007 on my PC. I played it a while back on the 360 and just fancied it again after re-watching the latest Bonds. It works fine and looks good but slows down when a lot is happening.
I actually just like gaming on the PS3.... I am an addict for Far Cry 2 online.... now the new FC3 is coming out and will give that a shot but I don't really know if I am going to like it.

I have the Sapphire LP 6670 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814102958 and I was able to play some game demos in Steam quite nicely. I'd love to try the 7750 but there's only so many $$$... It ran pretty quiet and my whole system max'd out around 100W with Furmark.

Review here (good one with lots of actual game play): http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/13...ction.html
(2012-11-12, 12:25)Beer40oz Wrote: HD 7750.... ? Can't really comment on it since I never have used it...
+1....my nephew have one of this in his rig....he enjoy it, and it doesn't required very much power to operate either!

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-11-12, 12:17)T800 Wrote: If I install a better graphics card do i just keep the same drivers?
You can simply do this to install the latest AMD driver after you installed the new GPU- AMD Driver Autodetect.....

(2012-11-12, 17:52)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-12, 12:25)Beer40oz Wrote: HD 7750.... ? Can't really comment on it since I never have used it...
+1....my nephew have one of this in his rig....he enjoy it, and it doesn't required very much power to operate either!

That is good to know... what games does he play?

(2012-11-12, 18:47)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-12, 12:17)T800 Wrote: If I install a better graphics card do i just keep the same drivers?
You can simply do this to install the latest AMD driver after you installed the new GPU- AMD Driver Autodetect.....

Yup.... or open your Catalyst control panel and look for Update....
(2012-11-12, 19:05)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-11-12, 17:52)bluray Wrote:

That is good to know... what games does he play?
He is adult, and he plays Call of Duty, Assassins, Resident Evil, etc. I don't play game, and some games are cruel.....

I've ordered a low profile 7750. I will report back after installation.
(2012-12-04, 00:11)T800 Wrote: I've ordered a low profile 7750. I will report back after installation.

Which one did you get? I am very interested to hear about the LP 7750.
(2012-12-04, 00:11)T800 Wrote: I've ordered a low profile 7750. I will report back after installation.
I think that you'll like it.....and please let us know how it turn out.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Replacement for my Asus Radeon HD 6450 for a bit of gaming?0