NFS access from FreeNAS 8.3
Hi guys,

Trying to configure Freenas 8.3 so that i can gain access to shared NFS folders via XBMC.
I understand that i need to add these variables to rc.conf:

mountd_flags -n
nfs_reserved_port_only NO
nfs_server_flags -u -t -n 4

However, the wiki tells me to go to System > Advanced > rc.conf
but this options does not exist on Freenas 8.3

I did however ssh to the freenas box and edited an rc.conf (not sure if it was the right one) but then after a reboot, the settings were gone. I then tried to edit an rc.conf inside the folder "/etc/defaults/rc.conf" but i did not have permission to "save" the file... even though i was logged in as root.

I'm a bit stumped here, as i can see the NFS shares in XBMC, but i cannot browse them.

Can anyone help me? ... I'm not overly experienced with Linux, so be kind and explain it in dumby steps!

Cheers guys.
FreeNAS is based off of FreeBSD - it is NOT Linux. There are a lot of similarities, however, some subtle but major differences.

The file you'll want to edit is likely /etc/rc.conf, however, I'd also advise sticking to the official FreeNAS documentation. As you are alluding to the changes you are manually making may also be overwritten by the FreeNAS layer built on top of FreeBSD.

Another thing that may be blocking you is permissions. Shares might be working, but if connecting from another Ubuntu-based Linux OS - *assumption here * - you'll need same UID = 1000 for the user in order to modify the contents. Way to get around this is to add another user with the UID = GID = 1000 to the FreeNAS system and then set ownership of the shares to the new user.

Hope this points you in the correct general direction.

If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
I'm trying to connect via windows OS actually, using XBMC's native NFS support.
Hello.

I cant comment on windows related (anything). But it is my understanding that the native NFS support in XBMC is not has refined in Eden as it is in current builds and that in any case NFS support requires insecure flag set in NFS server exports.

If your NFS server does not set insecure flag then you will see the the NFS shares and will be unable to "browse".

In any case a quick google revealed something that may be of help in this post and this Freenas+NFS xbmc wiki article

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS access from FreeNAS 8.30