G Box Midnight For XBMC?
I am currently thinking about the G Box Midnight it seems to be just what I need, it has all the input's and outputs I need, supports 1080p output without any issues (or so it seems)

My questions are to the owners out there or those who know more than myself.

How is the playback of all files, any stuttering, or problems?
How is the remote, quality and functionality?
Does it run Android, if so, smoothly? (It appears to, but ive only been watching youtube videos and they are pretty spotty on what they cover)
How is youtube and netflix, do they run well? (Probably a yes if the box run's android as I use both of those apps on my cell phone w/o issue)

My only thing is this being a single core, can it handle XBMC and all that without any issues? I have seen videos and that of the MK808 and it has a dual core A9 CPU which intrigues me, however there is no hardware decoding so 1080p is unwatchable. Being single core, is the g box still able to multi task without to much issue? (With my use I will probably never multi task but I'm an "enthusiast" if you will, and the more capable a piece of 'tech' is the more I want it, regardless of if I will use the extra features or not. I know, I'm nuts :S )

Thanks guys.

(I'm stepping up from an original XBOX to a set top box of some sort so I am sure pretty well any one out there will blow the socks off my current setup)
Pivios has xbmc dev involved. May want to follow that development.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
G-Box Midnight PC thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140327 (pretty long and pretty active).
Thing with the pivos is it seems to be 'outdated' if you will. Any idea if they will be releasing a new model?

The midnight seems to have quite a few bugs, and in all honesty i'd rather support pivos if they financially support XBMC
What seems outdated about it? If it supports decoding desired media and can handle the interface whats left? They seem to be supporting it well enough and are apparently supporting XBMC development too.

My main hardware is years old atom ion hardware, works great for the desired purpose :-)
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2012-11-16, 05:51)BLKMGK Wrote: What seems outdated about it? If it supports decoding desired media and can handle the interface whats left? They seem to be supporting it well enough and are apparently supporting XBMC development too.

My main hardware is years old atom ion hardware, works great for the desired purpose :-)

Good point, still running year old Atom here as well and it works fine as well as the ATV2s I had***. The issue I had was wanting the form of the ATV2with the expansive qualities of XBMC on my htpc and most of all the 1080p output. I went into the Midnight not expecting the same results based off the level of XBMC development but the overall future of this platform. I wanted a more expressive platform than the ATV and a better travel device than my custom (windows) atom box. Supporting the Pivos platform is like supporting the Midnight platform as the Pivos XBMC is used on the Midnight directly - but the launcher I can live without so I disabled. I am sure of it on androidtvbox.us as well as XBdroidMC.com where I purchased my unit from fully configured, the reason I went for the Midnight was the identical platform with more RAM, and better android customized remote. I signed on the forums looking for support on the thing I use most, add-ons. But locally I have to say the system (revision 2.1 boards I have) works great for local material.......just not all add-ons. 1channel, Navi-X, Icefilms, Crackle2, Khan Academy, ESPN works flawlessly - ...while those.work and many others i am missing out on the things like VEVO and most other rtmp type material which i always enjoyed on my other platforms. There are bugs on every Android platform but expected as its just entered Beta - I have XBMC android on my HP CM Touchpad, the Dyno (horrible but its the wifi issue maybe overheating, storage and local network works fine with usb rj45), and Midnight and the same add-ons are not working but networking locally sharing my media is fine as well as USB or SD storage. I have tested avi's, mkvs, and other containers etc (not iso as I see many having issues with on most builds)...all different quality with some have good results notably on the Midnight with wired connection. I achieved 1080p playback just about perfectly. Its not the hardware, but the software of course. This is normal as the development cycle, which was the same for me as an early ATV user, will only get more stable but I am happy the way it works even now. Expect better hardware from both companies and others which will get better as far as specifications - but as for the software its a leveled playing field thanks to pivos really for their development on this type of configuration with the Amlogic M3 and Mali400. Hope the info helps your decision. As much as I love my Midnight, the hype would not exist if it were not for Pivos but its a very good platform.

The midnight runs android very well and smooth - every application I tried runs like any other android device but I did have some issues with the ESPN app but its not needed as the XBMC add-on from tomm0 works fine. It is an issue with the Adobe AIR as videos stutter badly and then crashes. Emulators, games run very well despite some not have controller support (only shadowgun and gta3 is what i tested with ps3 controller). Youtube works very well, and netflix just cannot be updated as its running a compatible version already installed (noted in my instructions).

Happy purchasing HaGGard!!
Hello i bought a G Box Midnight, how do i setup xbmc ??

Thanks in advance
http://androidtvbox.us/forum/g-box-midnight/xbmc/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
G Box Midnight For XBMC?0