[Windows 8] How to boot into XBMC with EventGhost, Windows 8 Metro Skip
Hi:

I recently installed XBMC onto Windows 8 and wanted to use EventGhost to control my Hauppauge IR Sensor inputs and Logitech Remote. I didn't want to boot directly to the XBMC Shell but use EventGhost on Windows Startup so I can exit XBMC and go back into Windows. I encountered a slew of F*ing obstacles that I overcame and wanted to share them to help others so Google Search can find this thread and save someone else a day's worth of lost time.

If you are a Newb like me, you probably installed EventGhost from the guide at: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=How...s_a_shell)

That's fine, but just do Step 1.1

To begin with: Windows 8 Pro has a lot of file permission restrictions which made XBMC and Event Ghost not be able to write to their log files etc...
Solution was to take ownership of the local C:\Drive as well as enable Inheritance. You can do this by following the steps at: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tip...windows-8/

Now EventGhost can write to it's log file. The next issue is that Windows 8 Boots to the Start Screen and not the Desktop. To overcome this, you will want to actually begin by Disabling Autostart in EventGhost (File -> Options -> Uncheck: Autostart EventGhost on system startup). You then want to add a delay to the XBMC Launch of ~2 Seconds: (Right Click: Start Program: XBMC.exe -> Configure Item. Under "Command line options:" you should have "-fs -p" then add "-d 2" (for a 2 second delay)).

Then, download the EXE File (at the bottom attachment link) and follow the steps from: http://www.howtogeek.com/108349/how-to-b...windows-8/

What you want to do is modify a few of these steps. When setting up your "Triggers" of "At Log On", You will want to select the "Delay task for" check box and set it for "1 Second". Furthermore, under the "Actions" tab, you will want to add the action of "Start a program" and select your EventGhost.exe. Mine was at:"C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\EventGhost.exe". This will prevent the Send Desktop and Event Ghost from starting both at the same time and mess eachother up.

If this doesn't work, try to increase the delay to the EventGhost to a high number like 30 Seconds and work backwards if it then boots up to Desktop. If it doesn't boot to Desktop, then try to increase the delay in your Scheduled Task Go To Desktop functions Trigger.

Clear as Mud?

Sorry, I don't have the time to attach a slew of pictures and making this a walk-through guide.
All you have to do is set the both to run as administrator permanently and then drop them in the startup folder, then they'll have write permission to the entire OS... When windows boots it will run them at startup, and when xbmc is launched it brings fullscreen focus to the desktop anyway.

No need to set delays and all that mumbo jumbo with eventghost. Its really quite simple, not sure why you had issues.
(2012-11-16, 01:07)loggio Wrote: All you have to do is set the both to run as administrator permanently and then drop them in the startup folder, then they'll have write permission to the entire OS... When windows boots it will run them at startup, and when xbmc is launched it brings fullscreen focus to the desktop anyway.

No need to set delays and all that mumbo jumbo with eventghost. Its really quite simple, not sure why you had issues.

I tried that with no-joy. It would lunch Eventghost and XBMC but it would not be on the screen unless I get out of Windows 8's Metro by clicking on the desktop icon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows 8] How to boot into XBMC with EventGhost, Windows 8 Metro Skip0