Xm script
sorry for looking so irresponsible again. i was waiting for an email from the topic tracker saying you'd responded, and since it had been a while i decided to check up. looks like my subscription expired or got deleted somehow.

anyway, thanks for the response. i was putting it in a sub-folder, so that was the problem. thanks to solexalex i was able to run it from that folder now. it looks like a nice improvement of the original script. good work!

now, for some notes. as i have mentioned before i am incredibly inept when it comes to coding, so i hope with the information i provide you can make whatever improvements you will. i can't see any visible difference in load time between the original xm script, like some have noted.

[standard definition]
-i noticed that the page indication and arrows in the lower right are not aligned with the bottom of the text on the lower left, which would improve the interface look because where they are currently placed is on top of the background bar at the bottom.

-i don't know where it would be possible to fit it in, but one thing i liked about the original script was that it displayed album art from the currently playing artist. this might be a good enhancement for the future.

-on both the old script and this one, the track display (most visible when on a visualization) shows the address audio is being streamed from. i don't know if it would be possible to fake it out and pass it the currently playing track information, but that would also be an excellent enhancement.

-you probably have no way of dealing with this, but i was able to repeat a crash several times by attempting to change resolution while the script was running.

[1080i]
-the background stretches, so it appears to be in exactly the same position as it was in sd. as mjcother noted, the text is small, and aligned into the upper left, due to the display code. theoretically, knowing this and using the resolution chart nuka posted earlier you could scale the text placement fairly predictibly since the background scales. it might not be perfect because you'd be doing it blind, but unfortunately i can't code it for you with my limited knowledge.

--------

everything is looking great so far. with just a little more development i think this could very well become a staple script for many people. i am more than happy to check things for you at 1080i, but for some reason my tv doesn't do 720p (didn't know that when i bought it) so i can't check that resolution. it is, however, 16x9, and i can confirm that other than a little clipping from overscan the script works great at 480p 16x9.
i am going to do away with the paging arrows for the "currently playing" listbox, so that should do away with that issue.

as far as the album art, i actually did away with that because so often it didn't work. the code should still be in there, and it could easily be added back into the script. maybe that's another thing i should add to the settings.txt file.

many thanks to solealex for providing the code for making the script work from any directory, i shall add this code to my script very soon.

as far as getting the currently playing artist and song title to show, it literally will take begging one of the xbmc devs to add the ability for python scripts to set this. i explored the code, and even wrote code that i thought would do it, but i was never able to actually get the function exposed to python, even though i thought i had done all the steps. if someone could write me a short tutorial of the various steps necessary in exposing a new function to python, i would be very grateful. i am quite willing to write this code myself and post it to be added to cvs. i'm sorry i haven't done any work on this, but i have been preoccupied with other stuff lately, plus my roommate just got burnout revenge and so he's pretty much commandeered the xbox for the time being. it is my xbox, but it's hard to wrench it from his hands. i'm hoping the price on the xbox1 drops enough after the 360 comes out that i'll be able to pick one up just for dev work, but until then, the box is constantly being moved up and downstairs.

i must confess that i really don't see myself working on the hd probs with the script. don't hate, but i'm more interested in adding functionality to the script than worry about the ui. i can make the font size a global variable if you want me to, and then you could just set it in one place. please don't hate on me for this, but i'm not a ui person, i love the lowdown stuff. ask my boss at work, i would much rather work on data access or optimizing an xml parser than web design or windows forms stuff. i'm not a very visually artistic person.

it would take a night or so, but i could probably abstract out all ui placement to a function. then i could take you guys recommendations on the placement of the various elements and have things set based on that.

i basically shut down my life for about three nights to write this script, and i think my friends will beat me if i do that again. this is gpled, and i will not be offended in any way if someone takes this, cleans up the filthiness of the code and makes this into one of the great xbmc scripts. it's got the potential guys.

one of you truly great scripters please take this and make it into all that it can be. show me how this stuff is really done. :bowdown:
newnole2001,

i have tried your script every which way i can...i have used the code from solexalex and it still does not work.

i have tried it within the scripts directory and its own directory. i have hardcoded the username and password and that doesn't work either.

i keep getting the settings error message. i cannot get to the debug screen with the white button cause when i click ok on the dialog box it then says logging in and just sits there.

is there anything else you can think of for me to try?

thanks,
scott

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xm script0