• 15(current)
Linux Almost solved: PROPER Dual Audio on Linux
(2014-09-01, 14:27)c3po Wrote:
(2014-05-07, 01:08)snoxbox Wrote: I've read through this thread and I'm a little confused about the state of play with Gotham.

I'm running Openelec 3.2. If I upgrade to Openelec 4.0 (Gotham), will this hack still work?

A little late response, but it might help others experiencing some issues on OpenElec 4.0:

I updated from OpenElec 3.2 to 4.0 still keeping my 2.0 setup. It worked fine for audio playback, but when watching video on the start of the movie the video playback would stutter & no audio could be heard for a few seconds. This mostly happened on the start of a movie but sometimes it started to stutter again later.

Turned out that the dual audio setup was causing this, because when I switched audio to HDMI or Analog only the stuttering video behavior was gone. Solution was to set the output configuration to 'fixed' instead of 'optimized':

I know the "Fixed output" configuration has been explained before in this thread... but I overlooked it and it took me some time searching the web to find a fix for it. I hope this post can help others experiencing the same video / audio stutter problems.

I have implemented this on my headless Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS installation. The setup works but I get strange behavior I cannot seem to pinpoint, even after reading through this thread:
Even with the "Fixed output" I sometimes get hickups where the sound is interrupted for less then a second. But the bigger problem is that when playing audio over the DAC output, after a certain time (sometimes more, sometimes less) the audio gets distorted (strange clicking noises). When listening to the HDMI output then, the sound is ok.

I took a look at my logfile and tried to find entries that might explain this behavior - although I don't know what to do with this. Maybe someone can point me into the right direction?

Code:
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_LPCM" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_DTSHD" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_TRUEHD" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_EAC3" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_DTS" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_AC3" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_AAC" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_DTSHD" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_TRUEHD" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_EAC3" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_DTS" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_AAC" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_LPCM" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_DTSHD" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_TRUEHD" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_EAC3" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_DTS" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_AC3" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_AAC" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_LPCM" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_DTSHD" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_TRUEHD" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_EAC3" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_DTS" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_AC3" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3" seems to be not supported.
NOTICE: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevice data format "AE_FMT_AAC" on device "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3" seems to be not supported.
Code:
ERROR: CAESinkALSA - snd_pcm_writei(-32) Broken pipe - trying to recover
(2014-12-14, 16:23)soopersonic Wrote: I have implemented this on my headless Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS installation. The setup works but I get strange behavior I cannot seem to pinpoint, even after reading through this thread:
Even with the "Fixed output" I sometimes get hickups where the sound is interrupted for less then a second. But the bigger problem is that when playing audio over the DAC output, after a certain time (sometimes more, sometimes less) the audio gets distorted (strange clicking noises). When listening to the HDMI output then, the sound is ok.

I took a look at my logfile and tried to find entries that might explain this behavior - although I don't know what to do with this. Maybe someone can point me into the right direction?

I'm still having this issue with Kodi Helix 14. Is there anything that I could try? Setting this up with dual audio output really is the best way for me to use it together with the rest of my home theatre. Already tried playing around with buffer_size and period_size, but that didn't really lead anywhere.
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Almost solved: PROPER Dual Audio on Linux1