Import movie details from a file (like xml or nfo)?
Question 
ok, here is my suggestion. after spending a lot of time recently fiddling about with my movie database, i have finally got it how i want it.

i have noticed however that there are certain things about imdb that i don't like. for me, it's the naming of foreign films, namely japanese ones.

so, i have edited the database to add the correct japanese titles (in kanji as i can read them) and the correct english titles also. as i have a lot of japanese dvds, this was a very time consuming task although not difficult. i also had issues with adding a movie that for some reason would not add to the database correctly.

ok, that's the background, time for my request.

now that i have a collection of perfected xml files for each of my movies, i would like the option of importing data from them, rather than imdb. next time there is a change of architecture in the database, i know that i am going to have to rebuild it and i am dreading the thought of having to go through all this editing again.

perhaps it could be combined somehow with the .nfo files that contain the imdb url for each movie?

just my penny's worth, but i think this would be helpful!
Sad 
again, basically the same request as these two:
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....t=15208
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....t=14237

anyway, if a developmer implement something like it then i think simplest would be to give an option to either get info from imdb or just display the .nfo 'as is'
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
sorry, didn't see the other threads... feel free to delete this one or tag it onto one of the others.

to be honest, i don't know how the best way to implement it would be. i like the idea of one single unified database, so in my opinion, importing into this would be the best. however, i am not a developer, so i leave it in your more than capable hands to decide upon the best implementation (if any).
this is something i've had in mind for a while now. i was thinking it would be an xml file thats identical in format to the xml file used to store the data.

so if you had "matrix revolutions.avi", you could add a "matrix revolutions.xml" file in the same directory that would be used to populate the database.

it gets a little more complicated when you have "matrix revolutions-cd1.avi" and "matrix revolutions-cd2.avi".

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
true, but you couldn't it use the name without the '-cd 1' attached? in file mode, as long as stacking is turned on, xmbc seems to deal with this perfectly well.
sorta, its not that simple... since stacking is highly configurable, the user would need to make sure that the xml filename matches the "stacked" filename. also, there are other tokens which get cleaned from the name as well. (things like divx, dvdrip, etc)
ok, well there are obviously a lot of things i don't know about in regard to this sort of thing then.

how about:

1) an xml file that matches the imdbid, like we do already.
or
2) just stick it in the .nfo files (which are already supported) that are named after the first video in the the stack. i.e, xxxxxxxxx - cd1
(tomkun @ aug. 27 2005,11:40 Wrote:i like the idea of one single unified database, so in my opinion, importing into this would be the best.
just fyi, if we made up a xml standard then that could be imported into the database, however .nfo would not be used like that since there is no standard.
(ei. in an xml you can make tags like <movietitle>, <actor1>, <actor2>, etc. Confusedhifty: but a existing nfo files follow no standard so could only be displayed 'as is').

ps! i think it would great if anyone ever decides to code this make it so it also applies to a folder too via meta.xml or folder.xml for dvd's and tv-series Wink
they solve two completely different issues. nfo files are only used to get an imdb number. that would remain the same.  the xml file would allow for information to be imported into the database as of the information was gathered from the imdb.

and there is an existing standard for xml. today, xbmc saves imdb info in an xml file. my suggestion would be to use that format.

gamester, dvd's present an interesting problem.  i think a better way to stack dvd folders will need to preceed this.  ideally, a dvd folder (with or without the video_ts folder) should be consolidated into a single virtual item.

support for folder.xml would be possible.  it could work identical to how thumbs work.  if there isnt a "filename.xml" file, the item inherits the information from the folder.xml file.  just need to be sure that items can be added in-between other items in the database so that the stack order can be adjusted if a new tv episode is added.

(and of course, this may need to change if there's ever a true mytv section.)

First off Let me say on this my very first post that i've been very happy with XBMC The work you guys have done is exemplary....

Only thing i have ever thought could be a little better is the Video Database... not the database itself... but the flexibility of sources to get information...

Is there any way to do a per folder parsing of an XML with Movie (and or Episode Listing) Information.

Also is there any way to have different sources onthe internet browable for movie information other than IMDB?

Thanks for at Least hearing me out
"Is there any way to do a per folder parsing of an XML with Movie (and or Episode Listing) Information."
Huh
Hi,
Is there anyways i can put info to my avi files, i mean can i make a file where i store Movie Genre, Year, Title, Actors etc.?

Can i put it into a file, like this:

Video File: The Matrix.avi
Subtitle 1: The Matrix.English.srt
Subtitle 2: The Matrix.French.srt
Subtitle 3: The Matrix.German.srt
Thumb: The Matrix.tbn
Information: The Matrix.Huh

Just need a file wher i can put information about the movie
What's wrong with IMDB info? Use white button on the movie and read info...
actually this is somewhat supported via the "manually add to database" context menu option. if you have an xml file which matches the media files name (including extension) when you do the manual import, you'll get all the data. search the forums for instructions. the xml file needs to match the format used by the saved imdb data.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Import movie details from a file (like xml or nfo)?0