Ability to delete an episode after watching it.
I finally went ahead and wrote a script to delete the video after the stop button is pressed while viewing the video. You can see the script here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1122916
Greetings!

I am bumping this thread. I will now do my best to explain why...

XBMC is an AMAZING product. It is in most ways better then my DVR. It almost supports acting as a DVR in that I can automatically download shows and have it automatically update the xbmc database. Whenever anyone downloads and watches a show or movie they typically want to REMOVE/DELETE it after they are done watching it (Not all of us have infinite hard drive space). My problem is that when you have the settings set to hide the watched shows it vanishes so you then have to back, change the setting go back delete the show with the context menu and arrow through the menus then go back again and arrow through the menus and turn back on the hide watched shows filter. WHY are you making it so HARD by design? Someone in this thread said that the core will NEVER allow us to be prompted to delete the file after we watch it. This bothers me. After researching this in great detail it is clear that the only way this feature will work properly is if it is in the core. Just ad it along with all the other awesome features and have it OFF by default. Just like you do the ability to delete the file in the first place. If you are seriously worried that someone may accidentally delete a file that they cannot re-download and then complain, you should take the ability to delete files out all together or you should simply put up a disclaimer when they enable the feature to be prompted to remove the file after play.

Please support this post and encourage our coders to get this into the core as soon as possible.

Thank you for an awesome product!!!

~ Merlin
Merlin, I agree with you completely - but after arguing about this for years, we've gotten nowhere. We've gotten partially working hacks that kind of do what we want - but without a few hooks in core this feature is not really implementable. Specifically, we need general callbacks for actions like "stop", and "end of video reached". There hasn't been any interest in accepting patches for these callbacks without a feature that needs them - and this feature doesn't count because nobody likes it. Top all of that off with the fact that this feature not usable without support in the Skin - and so far none of the skin developers are interested.

The problem is that many (most?) users of XBMC are "collectors" - and save their video files forever. They find a feature like this to have no valid reason for existing - and only opens up the potential for accidental deletion.
I think this issue will have to be revisited when PVR is ready, since record/watch/delete is the normal life cycle there. I've never seen the PVR branch - it's possible this already exists there.
these python addon callbacks are all there since month ... onplay, onpause, onresume, onstop...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
JSON-RPC callbacks

enough choice if interested
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Quote:WHY are you making it so HARD by design?
Why would you hide watched if you delete everything you watch?

In any case, why not just resume work on Add-on:XBMC File Cleaner (wiki):

Quote:This plugin will automatically scan your library for watched TV shows and Movies and delete them from the file system based on numerous critia such as age, rating, disk free space etc.
That being said, I do think this feature will be needed in some form, add-on or otherwise, once PVR really starts to take off.
So now that PVR is part of Frodo and the beta came out is this something thats back on the table?

I understand that a vocal minority don't want an option to delete but not even having a feature (which all modern PVR devices have) makes no sense. If the 'collectors' are concerned then make it an option thats disabled by default, moves the files to a 'trash' instead of deleting them and required confirmation after every show if you want to delete with the 'no' prompt as the default (maybe even allow people to set a PIN to delete the file after saying 'yes' to prevent accidental/kids from deleting thing).

This needs to be implemented eventually now that PVR is in the main branch.
I add my vote to those who want to have an option to delete after watch.

One thing I didn't see in the thread, and for me is very important, is the ability to keep track of deleted episodes or movies. No, I am not crazy, I just forget after some time what I did watch and what I didn't. So I want to see the episode/movie marked as watched and also marked as deleted, so I don't accidentally download it again, thinking I did not see it.

I have watched thousands of movies in my life, and more than that TV shows episodes, I don't remember each one of them by name or season. Sometimes I think I saw a movie, just because I happen to browse through it a lot of times, but never donwload it. So keeping track will avoid confusions for me.
I recommend trakt.tv
Use the trakt or traktr addon for tracking what you watched
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to delete an episode after watching it.0