XBMC on the New Blackberrys
facts = no xbmc devs have said Backberry devices and no device == no port and no interest.
(2012-11-19, 15:33)qaxl Wrote: You are obviously biased against BlackBerry for whatever reasons, im not here to do marketing for them, i just want XBMC on a device that i use.

Not biased at all. I'm a BlackBerry user myself. I just don't think it has critical mass any longer. And that's reality, a market fact.
(2012-11-19, 17:36)qaxl Wrote: I did not ask for your comments or suggestions i came here to ask if you could make an app, for another platform, if you will, well and good, if you won't just say so, id didn't come here expecting an overwhelmingly positive response considering the past few years of Blackberry, and the new OS being over 2 months to launch, but i did however imagine the some of you might show interest in developing for Blackberry 10. I thought the devs would be more open to ideas, clearly i was wrong, i guess i will re-vist in six months to see whats what.

Thanks for asking. If I see how this team has adopted platforms, efforts have always been based on availability (remember, devices and dev environments have to be made available freely - no dev will actually invest lots of money) and most importantly, critical mass. XBMC is open-source, to which a community of volunteers are contributing out of their own personal interest and liking, during their spare time. This project started a long long time ago on xbox, and gradually, Linux, Windows, Apple, iOS, RBPi, Android etc. were added. The latter should I add because of private investments of Android-based STB maker Ouya. So if RIM contacted and sponsored Team XBMC to make the apps you are asking then perhaps we might see things move. The other option of course, is that you invest your time in learning the BB SDK and start a porting project.
Ah, quick correction. The latter was because of private investments to specific team members (and not the foundation as a whole) by Pivos. Ouya entered the game pretty late on that one.
you're right - the XIOS by Pivos came first... thanks for the correction.
In all honestly, I hope that BB10 is great and is a huge success. What I've heard about it so far seems really great. It's not really about the OS that causes us to say these things, it's more about RIM's management of BB. That's what makes this a sinking ship.

I used to be a big PalmOS fan, and was just appalled when Palm started doing some really really bad business moves. They sold off PalmOS and thought hardware alone would carry them... wat. WebOS was cool, but was a little too late to save the already sinking company. Then HP gave up on WebOS, but at least it's open source now.

So in my view it's really about the companies being their own worst enemy. Maybe RIM will turn it around for BB10, but I don't have a lot of faith in RIM right now.
I think if XBMC made a mobile OS it would be more successful than BB one Big Grin
+1 for a BB10 port.

Right now the devs view BB as a sinking ship, but I have a feeling BB10 is going to put RIM back on the map. Eventually there will be more demand in which case I hope the devs will respond in kind.
Remember that the ports to android and ios were not specifically aimed at the mobile devices. AFAIK Android media devices for the TV and AppleTV were the main focus, the mobile devices are just a bonus.. Devs, please correct me if I'm wrong.
(2012-11-23, 05:25)Icarus3000 Wrote: +1 for a BB10 port.

Right now the devs view BB as a sinking ship, but I have a feeling BB10 is going to put RIM back on the map. Eventually there will be more demand in which case I hope the devs will respond in kind.

That fact that it's not on the map makes it a sinking ship until it's back on the map. An XBMC remote app isn't gonna change that and is only going to waste time if RIM fail.
A lot of the BB people keep forgetting is that the Phone world hasn't stood still since the last release of BB. Android now has most of the market, and along with the newcomer WP and the old reliable IOS, it's going to be a tough sell for people.
I'm not pushing for anything right now as I understand that isn't realistic. I happen to have high hopes for BB10 (I've seen the alpha device and was blown away!), and hope that the market place is open to change.

I think Apple's cylcle of dominance can't last forever. Am I the only one who thinks that Apple has become the type of company that they mocked in their famous 1984 commercial?
(2012-11-24, 05:11)Icarus3000 Wrote: I'm not pushing for anything right now as I understand that isn't realistic. I happen to have high hopes for BB10 (I've seen the alpha device and was blown away!), and hope that the market place is open to change.

I think Apple's cylcle of dominance can't last forever. Am I the only one who thinks that Apple has become the type of company that they mocked in their famous 1984 commercial?

Apple doesn't have a majority of the mobile OS space, though...
The funny thing is that XBMC would probably save the RIM from the inevitable.
(2012-11-26, 07:00)XBMCHUB Wrote: The funny thing is that XBMC would probably save the RIM from the inevitable.

Do you really believe that or are you being sarcastic?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on the New Blackberrys0