• 7(current)
[WIP] Slideshow screensaver
(2013-01-25, 04:22)curtis-r Wrote: Same OS: Win7x64

Though it was just a month or so ago I started with a fresh build of xbmc, I certainly have some add-ons installed, but no picture ones.
I just did a fresh install of xbmc into another test folder and copied over the screensaver add-on, and the 'date taken' shows, so something definitely is screwy with my normal build. Not sure what you are thinking as far as a test version goes, but I'd love to get to the bottom of this. Thanks.

i think it's another addon that also contains a EXIF.py module.
i have modified the one included in the slideshow screensaver in order to add support for images on remote (smb) shares.

if two addons contain the same module, i think there's the big chance the wrong one gets used.

anyway, if this is indeed the case, v0.0.8 i just pushed to the repo should address this.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I keep getting this errors in the log when screensaver is stopped (with all versions)

Code:
09:48:53 T:4056   ERROR: Failed to run the gc to clean up after running prior to shutting down the Interpreter C:\Users\crni\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\screensaver.xbmc.slideshow\default.py
09:48:53 T:4056 WARNING: The python script "C:\Users\crni\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\screensaver.xbmc.slideshow\default.py" has left several classes in memory that we couldn't clean up. The classes include: Window,Monitor,WindowXMLDialog
09:48:57 T:2324   ERROR: CLocalizeStrings::ClearBlock: Trying to clear non existent block C:\Users\crni\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\screensaver.xbmc.slideshow

(screensaver is working fine though)
This is no problem. Just ignore

@ronie
we need to get jcarrol to change those messages to "debug"
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-01-25, 10:16)ronie Wrote: if two addons contain the same module, i think there's the big chance the wrong one gets used.

anyway, if this is indeed the case, v0.0.8 i just pushed to the repo should address this.

That did it! I see you also removed the "Title:"... as I suggested. I appreciate that. Excellent work.
Win10x64 Pro. Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.26GHz on Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L. 4GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM. Nvidia GT240 512MB PCIx16. Multiple displays, including Sony VPL-XW5000ES 4k projector + 100" Da-Lite Cinema screen.
(2013-01-06, 22:51)xorcist83 Wrote: I'm having problems with some images displaying really blurry and pixelated. Happens regardless which effect I'm using (Pan&Zoom, Slide, Crossfade).
I'm having the exact same problem. Running 0.0.8 on Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC. The ordinary picture slideshow is showing the pictures nicely in full resolution, but with the screensaver.xbmc.slideshow it looks like the picture has been mosaic'ed to 5x5 pixels or something. For me it's not just some pictures. It's all of them.

Edit: I'll have to add that I installed OpenElec almost a week ago and then there was no problems. Some days ago there was an update to screensaver.xbmc.slideshow and the problem started.
(2013-01-28, 02:45)rickbear Wrote:
(2013-01-06, 22:51)xorcist83 Wrote: I'm having problems with some images displaying really blurry and pixelated. Happens regardless which effect I'm using (Pan&Zoom, Slide, Crossfade).
I'm having the exact same problem. Running 0.0.8 on Raspberry Pi with openELEC. The ordinary picture slideshow is showing the pictures nicely in full resolution, but with the screensaver.xbmc.slideshow it looks like the picture has been mosaic'ed to 5x5 pixels or something. For me it's not just some pictures. It's all of them.

it has to do with the settings OE for rpi uses to save memory.
there's a bit of info here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1191965
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2013-01-28, 03:10)ronie Wrote: it has to do with the settings OE for rpi uses to save memory.
there's a bit of info here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1191965
Ah I see, thanks! So I guess something else must have been updated - and not just the screen saver - to reduce gpu memory usage and I've just been "lucky" that it untill now only affected the screen saver.
The v 0.0.8 slideshow screensaver has just about all of the functions I needed/wanted, but the information is not positioned/displayed as I would like, and there is still some info missing. So, I decided to customize it myself, to get EXACTLY what I want. This was my first attempt at detailed modifications in xbmc, but I learned a lot, and it was actually kind of fun.

Things I wanted.
1) Ability to scale pictures at a fixed amount. Scaling to fullscreen does not work well for pictures in portrait orientation. You lose a huge amount from the top and bottom. So, I don't mind black bars for portrait orientation, but would like to minimize black bars for landscape.

2) I want to see the music now playing info, but I only want the artist and song tile - don't need the album art, album name or progress bars.

3) I wanted to format the date my way.

4) I don't want to see keywords. These are for programs to use, not useful for me to see.

5) I wanted to display the location the picture was taken. Many of my pictures are tagged with sub-location, city, state, and country. This is some of the most useful info to see.

6) I don't want blank lines for missing information.

7) A really picky one - I don't want the country to be displayed in the location if the country is "United States". If I know the city and state, I already know the country, and it just looks foolish to me to have the country there.

So, I started by modifying gui.py to get the information I wanted. I modified script-python-slideshow.xml to add, delete and rearrange the info on the screen the way I wanted. I moved all the picture info to the lower left (headline, description,location,keywords,date). I moved the music now playing display to the lower right. I moved the file name/folder display to the upper right.

Once I was done, I wanted to try to make all the extra stuff configurable from the settings screen. So I mucked around with settings.xml, and tying it into the code changes in gui.py.

Finally, I took the new strings I used on the settings screen, and added them to the English/strings.po file. I obviously could not add the new text to all the other million languages that the original screensaver was translated into.

Here is what I came up with.
The default settings screen:
The options for "Scale images" are None, Fixed, and Fullscreen.
The options for "Display music info ..." are None, Minimal, and Full.

The settings screen as I use it:

A few examples:
The screensaver as I want it :-) - artist and song title are on one line because tunein radio plug in shows them both in the artist field.

The screensaver with everything turned on

Showing a picture in portrait mode, if this were scaled to fullscreen, you wouldn't see the top of the tower.

It would be great if this additional function could be added into the default slideshow screensaver from Team-xbmc, but some of the additions may be too picky for that. I wouldn't mind making this available (as-is) to others, but I don't know how.
thanx all for the suggestions you've made
and for helping me out with testing all the new features. :-)

now frodo is out of the door, it's time to give this addon a proper release thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154032
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] Slideshow screensaver0