Win CWinShader::LoadEffect
I was having a look at the log file to try and track down an issue with XBMC crashing when starting program addons after watching a video and noticed multiple ERROR: CWinShader::LoadEffect entries in the log.

Posted the log on Pastebin here and this is specific error I'm receiving:

Code:
21:42:46 T:4788   ERROR: CWinShader::LoadEffect /*
                                             *      Copyright (C) 2010 Team XBMC
                                             *      http://www.xbmc.org
                                             *  This Program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
                                             *  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
                                             *  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
                                             *  any later version.
                                             *  This Program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
                                             *  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
                                             *  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
                                             *  GNU General Public License for more details.
                                             *  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
                                             *  along with XBMC; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
                                             *  the Free Software Foundation, 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
                                             *  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
                                             */

float4 TEST() : COLOR
                                            {
                                              return float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
                                            }
                                            technique TEST_T
                                            {
                                              pass P0
                                              {
                                                PixelShader  = compile ps_2_0 TEST();
                                              }
                                            };
                                             failed

21:42:46 T:4788   ERROR: CTestShader::Create: Failed to load shader special://xbmc/system/shaders/testshader.fx.

Running Frodo Beta 1 on Windows x64. Any suggestions?
I've looked through the code that leads to this error and it hasn't changed since back in 2010. The call that fails is in guilib/D3DResource.cpp in the method D3DEffect::CreateEffect() and is the call to D3DXCreateEffect() which is provided by the DirectX installation on Windows. So there are basically two reasons I can think of why this could happen
  1. DirectX 9.0c is not properly installed on your computer.
  2. Something's going wrong in our packaging (wild guess because D3DXCreateEffect() should come with DirectX 9.0c and not with one of our libraries). I'll have to compare the packages of Eden and Frodo Beta 1 on my windows machine at home to see if there are any differences that could have anything to do with this.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks for looking into this Montellese. To expand upon my initial post, I never encountered this issue before installing Frodo beta. When I installed the beta I did an express install - normally i skip the DirectX webinstallion and language parts. It was from there that I've been experiencing the DirectX issue and constant crashing when trying to use program addons after watching videos. Whether these issues are related I'm still trying to suss out but it is definitely is centered around the beta install.

If you need any more info - system specs, debug logs, etc - let me know. I'm in the process of reinstalling DirectX so I'll report back any updates when that's completed.
I can confirm I am having the same issue since upgrading to frodo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CWinShader::LoadEffect 0