best hardware for inputing tv
I am about to drop my $85 a month cable tv and just use the 50 over-the-air channels (17 in HD) that I can get by running a coax from my town home's antenna wall jack to the back of my tv.

I all ready have a XBMC network running in my townhome that delivers downloaded media (movies and music) from my server to my two clients, on at each of my two tvs.

I am really interested in using XBMC 12 with PVR support to now record those 50 over-the-air channels that I have access too because obviously when I cancel my cable there goes my two existing HD DVR that I am currently renting from the cable company.

So my question is what is the best device to record shows onto my computer hard drive so I can then watch them on my tv?

I am looking for just a video capture card, if so any recommendations on the best kind?

Will I be able to record in HD and can I then archive the recordings or just watch them?

thanks

Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
I suggest, firstly choose TV Backend SW (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR/Backend) and secondly choose video card from compatibility list of Backend SW.
Sounds like you want a tv tuner. Depends on a few things - type of signal being broadcast in your area, operating system, if you want a internal/usb/networked tuner?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best hardware for inputing tv0