Plasma? Led? LCD? Active or Passive 3D? Confusion all around
Hi all,

i'm not quite sure this should be going in here but i'm having a hard time making a decision for a new TV. I've been told many different pro's and cons in favor of plasma and LED, Active and Passive 3D. I've also come across a few sales on LG Plasma screens with active 3D (and a single pair of shutter-type glasses) but salesmen have tried to talk me in and out of each matchup several times over the past few days. Some even refuse to sell you anything at all right from the get go.

Eventually one salesman asked me what source i planned on hooking up to the tv, to which i obviously replied "A regular pc, with HDMI output running XBMC(Buntu). And that's when i started wondering if XBMC can even play 3D. Side-by-Side / Half-Over-Under seems a no-brainer (although i have no idea how it is converted into a Full HD 3D picture) but what about displaying for Active or Passive 3D? Does it work with Eden or Frodo Beta1? Do i need an extra plugin to get that working?

I've been searching on the subject before and i've seen numerous posts and topics about the subject but some were quite old (2010) so they might not even be relevant anymore and others just contradict each other and often even themselves.

I never thought buying a new TV could be this horrible until i started trying to last week =(
Oh well, all in all i just got the tv i set out to buy in the first place, LG 50PM670S. 50" Full HD Plasma, it even has built in DVB-S2 so i ditch TVHeadend and OSCam. No idea how the 3D works yet though, the clerk at the shop i bought it couldn't find the glasses but i'd be able to pick them up tomorrow or the day after. Fine by me.
Plasma all the way for me, i have 2 lcd tv's, but the plasma beats them hands down for movies, also, i thought that 3D was going way of the dodo?
Ultra HD is the next thing!
I have a passive LG LCD 3D TV and it works great with XBMC for 3D movies, I strongly recommend Jackass 3D! For SBS/half over-under movies you just need to enable 3D manually, using the button on your remote

Passive 3D has slightly less picture quality than active, as passive uses one row of pixels for the left and the next for the right, and so on; this basically halves the resolution top to bottom. Active 3D quickly flicks between each image, so you get the full resolution. Active 3D glasses require batteries and need to synchronise with the TV first. Depending on lighting conditions, you may notice some flickering with Active 3D, so it will be best to turn off any lights
I have an LG 50PK550 in my livingroom that besides having major issues with reflections has now developed a nice black line across it - past warranty of course. I took the plunge yesterday for a Panasonic 55LET5 to replace it. It's a passive 3D LED-LCD TV. I have a 2007 Panasonic 50" plasma that I love that's in another room. I swore I'd be plasma only and forever but I am going to give LED-LCD a try and see how it goes. I am hoping it will be better in this room with many windows. Too bad my AVR can't pass-through 3D.
This review agreed with me, and I love my LED HDTV- Plasma vs. LCD vs. LED: Which HDTV Type is Best?....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Ah, to afford a Sharp Elite, that would be nice! I wonder how long until there's 55" OLEDs on sale for Black Friday. My guess 2015-16.
(2012-11-24, 06:44)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Ah, to afford a Sharp Elite, that would be nice! I wonder how long until there's 55" OLEDs on sale for Black Friday. My guess 2015-16.

My ultimate is a CIH projection system. Currently, a JVX DLA-X70R with a 140" Stewart screen would suit me just fine. Smile
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-11-24, 06:55)thrak76 Wrote:
(2012-11-24, 06:44)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Ah, to afford a Sharp Elite, that would be nice! I wonder how long until there's 55" OLEDs on sale for Black Friday. My guess 2015-16.

My ultimate is a CIH projection system. Currently, a JVX DLA-X70R with a 140" Stewart screen would suit me just fine. Smile

Absolutely and in a man cave with a couple of beers on tap behind the bar, please.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plasma? Led? LCD? Active or Passive 3D? Confusion all around0