Solved: CPU 100% when enter video library... help please!
Hi.

I have a big video-library on my mediacenter (approx 4200 videos / 300 GB all in one folder with NFO-files for all of them) and when I try to enter my videos my CPU usage goes to 100% for maybe 20 seconds (on the mediacenter). I figured that I needed to install a SQL-server on my NAS, hoping that separating the database-server and XBMC onto two machines would yield me the needed performance. (I have a dedicated PC for NAS-usage). Unfortunately, it hasn't helped at all! Actually it's even slower than having the standard XBMC database on my mediacenter.

Now MySQL is pretty new to me so I was hoping you guys could tell me something that could speed things up! Can I make XBMC stop from being evil on my mediacenter? I just want to enter the video library faster.

Mediacenter/HTPC:
Motherboard: ASUS E35M1-M Pro (E-350 - 1,6 GHz dual-core)
RAM: 4 GB PC3-1066
SSD: Samsung 830-series 60GB
Using 1 Gbps wired LAN-connection
XBMC 11

NAS:
Motherboard: ASRock E350M1 (E-350 - 1,6 GHz dual-core)
RAM: 8 GB PC3-1066
Harddrive: 2TB 5400rpm
Using 1 Gbps wired LAN-connection
Database: MySQL 5.5

Regards,
Michael
Using MySQL over SQLite is the best way to slow XBMC down especially if it has to go over the network so that's definitely not the way to takle your problem.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Hmm... Ok then. Doesn't seem very obviously to me, but okay Smile

I guess (hope!) XBMC is running some sort of folder/file check when entering the library, but I don't know it that's the case. Can anyone tell me more, please!

Regards,
I've been playing around with my XBMC videos this afternoon, and a debug log comes up with the following line:

22:22:40 T:2000 DEBUG: CVideoDatabase::GetMusicVideosByWhere time to retrieve from dataset = 18947

So... it actually takes ~19 seconds to retrieve the video list.

1) Can I make it remember the list until the next reboot? (instead of fetch the list every time I enter the library)
2) The "dataset" is my database? Correct?
3) Any suggestions to speed it up?
4) Any suggestions to dig deeper into my ongoing troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
imo XBMC 12.0 Frodo (use latest nightly) reacts quicker so you could try that.
Be sure to backup your userdata folders and if you still mysql you might want to read the upgrade faq
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I'll try Frodo right away Smile

edit: I think I'll start with SQLlite for now. (Frodo)
Okay... I've uninstalled Eden and installed Frodo and buttom line is.... IT ROCKS!! Cool

The menus are much smoother, faster and best of all: gaining access to my videos are down to about 4-5 seconds or so! This is really great! Unfortunally it seems like the slideshow-feature is buggy Sad - but it might be better in the final release of Frodo.

Thanks for your replies!
Why are you using W7 on your "NAS"? Do you actually use that computer for anything other than file serving?
(2012-11-28, 22:46)Malosar Wrote: Why are you using W7 on your "NAS"? Do you actually use that computer for anything other than file serving?

I do the same thing just because it's easy Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I guess it's definitely easier than using Linux or something instead, just more resource hungry. And wouldn't it make more sense to run WHS instead of W7 on the "NAS" as it's half the cost and far more functional as a server?
You're right: WHS might be better for my usage Smile but every now and then my girlfriend use the NAS for playing The Sims, and that's why I've chosen W7. I might switch over to WHS some day but for now it's W7 Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Solved: CPU 100% when enter video library... help please!0