Video - white specks
Difficult to describe but I get white specks flashing all over the screen, it is visible but not obvious but annoying once you have noticed it. I've seen it described on various forums but I have not been able to stop the problem. I'm using Linux Mint 13 and the xbmc installed from the Pulse Eight repository. Any assistance resolving this would be appreciated, all my attempts so far have been unsuccessful.

Regardless of the video problem I have to say that I am well impressed with xbmc.

Welcome to the forum.

A bit more info would make this less of a guessing game for the people trying to help Wink

When exactly is this happening?
Always?
If you watch normal cable tv?
If you view your Linux desktop?
If you are in the XBMC menus? If so, what skin do you use?
While watching video in XBMC?
While watching video with a different player?

What kind of TV is it and how is it connected?
What resolution / format are you sending to your TV and can it handle that?
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Good point and thank you for replying.

It occurs with live dvb tv (all channels), recorded programs and video files and is always present in the form of small white specks flashing all over the screen, if these same recorded programs and video files are played from the desktop with xbmc closed down the video is clean. It is present regardless of the screen being used or the resolution. It isn't present on any of the menus or backgrounds and isn't skin specific, using other skins does not make the problem go away.

This is an HP laptop with Centrino Duo T5450 1.66Ghz processor, Intel GM965/GL960 graphics and other screens are connected using vga. Ram is 2GB.
How about some screenshots and debug.logs

uNi
try upgrading to something newer then what is in the pulse eight ppa
I've taken several screen shots and they show very little, just a green speck in a different place each time. I haven't added a screen shot, wasn't sure quite how to do that. Blush

Sorry if I'm being a numpty but the log is too long, more than 10000, so I couldn't post it.

Thanks for taking an interest uNiversal.

Ok wsnipex I will try a newer version and see if that helps if I don't get any other suggestions over the next day or so. Thank you.
You dont post logs in-line it makes the whole thread unreadable, and no one will look.

Use a pastebinn for logs and for images use some image site like http://snag.gy/ then add Image

I would suggest using something like wsnipex says

uNi

Ok thanks uNi will try that.

J
Here's the log http://pastebin.com/gWnWD3Be

and the screen shot cropped which shows a speck, only seem to catch one or two specks at a time.

Thanks for your patience. Wasn't aware of these useful sites to do this.

J
I checked the version installed and it is the latest stable version so I decided that re-installing might not achieve anything.

I did come across this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126577 which solved my problem. I had the Render Method set to auto and by following the last post in that thread and setting it to Basic Shaders ARB cured the problem.

Now a very happy bunny. Smile
Thanks for finding that fix Jonhen I'm setting up an older PC with Linux Mint for my brother for xmas and this was driving me nuts. It an old HP pc desktop which uses an onboard Intel 82946GZ/GL graphics chip.
Thanks once again

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video - white specks1