Video via HDMI audio via SPDIF RCA
Since my current yamaha avr doesn't support hdmi (yes its old and want to upgrade in the next year or two), I have a question concerning how I want to set things up.

If I output video via hdmi and audio via spdif rca, will I have any issues? For instance will I experience any audio delays which would put the audio/video out of sync? I also understand that I can't output true bluray lossless audio through rca, but it will output in another format just fine correct (still learning these things)?
It will be fine. In fact, there are numerous issues with bitstreaming that won't bother you if you do it this way. Dts was good enough for cinemas for decades and pc's capable of doing it this way have been around for at least 5 years.

Just send an spdif signal to your receiver and enjoy.
Thanks for the response. I am just getting ready to pull the trigger and am just wanting to make sure this sort of setup would work just fine.
I have another question regarding this:

With this motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813130615) and adding a SPDIF connector, does it completely bypass the onboard audio and all the audio processing happen on my avr (yamaha htr-5540)? I just don't want to have subpar audio from an onboard card (Realtek ALC887 - which I realize is 24-Bit, 192KHz).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video via HDMI audio via SPDIF RCA0