Win <streamsilence> tag not releasing AudioEngine
Hi folks,

I'm using the nightly from 11-18-12 (but posted on 11-19) on Windows7 x64.

It seems that the <streamsilence> tag for AudioEngine is not releasing the audio any longer. I first noticed this while trying to launch WMC with Advanced Launcher, and then tested it with a few other programs, and was not able to get the audio for any of these programs.

I've got the tag set for:
<streamsilence>0</streamsilence>

to allow for the Eden style release of audio.

Here's a log where I launch WMC with Adv. Launcher, return to XBMC, and then shutdown...
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=15053

Can anyone else reproduce this? It doesn't seem to be an error from Adv. Launcher, because I can't get audio from anything at all while XBMC is running. I forgot to try this with Frodo Beta1, but this behavior was not occurring before Beta1.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
AFAIK this happens independent of <streamsilence> when you use a WASAPI output. It should work with DirectSound (at least it does for me). That's because XBMC uses WASAPI in exclusive mode so nothing else can access it.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
AE is supposed to drop the sink when no audio is active even in WASAPI exclusive mode so AE doesn't hog audio, this was added by DDDamian sometime ago.
Here is the PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1326
My problem is that it stopped working. <streamsilence>0</streamsilence> drops the sink (Eden style). I've been using it in this manner for months. Default behavior (<streamsilence>1</streamsilence>, or no entry) is to keep the sink active, right? That's not what i want.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Aud...d_settings

And just to illustrate that I have indeed been using it for months without issue...
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1191494
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Hi don't know if i've got the wrong end of the stick here but do you mean if you leave XBMC running but then switch to windows you get no audio i.e. you browse to say youtube and play a clip you get picture but no sound but then you shut down XBMC reload the clip and then you get sound? if so i've had the same problem for a few months now using both nightlies and beta using WASAPI output. If ive misunderstood please ignore me lol, cheers
9.1 Cinema Room htpc with Kodi Matrix & emby server~Epson EH-TW9300~Homemade 8ft pj screen~AVR~Yamaha RX-A3070~Speakers~Monitor Audio RX6 Fronts & RX Centre~RXFX Surrounds~250's Rears~180's Front Presence~BK XXLS400 Sub~8033C AntiMode~HarmonyOne

(2012-11-21, 09:06)wints Wrote: Hi don't know if i've got the wrong end of the stick here but do you mean if you leave XBMC running but then switch to windows you get no audio i.e. you browse to say youtube and play a clip you get picture but no sound but then you shut down XBMC reload the clip and then you get sound? if so i've had the same problem for a few months now using both nightlies and beta using WASAPI output. If ive misunderstood please ignore me lol, cheers

Yes, that's the behavior.

This was fixed though in AudioEngine, and the <streamsilence> tag made the fix possible. Doesn't work anymore for me though - since Beta1.
Great lol (in a good way) its not just me, thought i had messed something up Wink also noticed that the amp disply keeps switching from pcm to direct whilst XBMC is loaded soon as i shut XBMC down amp disply is ok?
9.1 Cinema Room htpc with Kodi Matrix & emby server~Epson EH-TW9300~Homemade 8ft pj screen~AVR~Yamaha RX-A3070~Speakers~Monitor Audio RX6 Fronts & RX Centre~RXFX Surrounds~250's Rears~180's Front Presence~BK XXLS400 Sub~8033C AntiMode~HarmonyOne

(2012-11-21, 09:48)wints Wrote: Great lol (in a good way) its not just me, thought i had messed something up Wink also noticed that the amp disply keeps switching from pcm to direct whilst XBMC is loaded soon as i shut XBMC down amp disply is ok?

I have the same issue
Bump, please.

If someone could just try to reproduce please?
There's a bug report for it so you might wanna post your debug log et. al. there: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13593
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks, Montellese. I added some info to the trac report.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
<streamsilence> tag not releasing AudioEngine0