Choppy video with supposedly good hardware
Hi,

So as I say in the topic, although it seems I have a pretty decent system, the video gets choppy with most videos at 720p resolutions and above. My instinct would tell me that the graphics card I'm using is the culprit, but from what I read online it seems everyone thinks it would be more than enough (it's a Radeon HD 6570).

My complete setup is the following:

I am using 1 PC to use both as a "desktop PC", and media center. It has 2 graphic cards, one (a Radeon HD 3850) for 2 PC monitors, and the other (Radeon HD 6570, 2GB DDR3) for the TV. The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo, at 2.66Ghz, and I have 3GB of RAM. I am using Windows 7 32-bit.

Virtually all my videos run flawlessly on the PC monitors, but if I drag them to the TV (or play them there in XBMC), the video is a bit laggy (unless it's low resolution). Another interesting thing is that, I also have a PS3 hooked up to the TV, and connected to the PC with an ethernet cable. Through the PS3, with PS3 Media Server, almost all videos run flawlessly too (unless it's a really big file).

So it really seems that the graphics card needs to be faster, but I admit it could be something else... I've tried changing all the system settings in XBMC to no avail, and even tried using another, slower graphics card (Radeon HD 4350). With that card, as expected, the choppiness does seem to be even worse.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Good god you've got a confusing setup
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
its not the graphics card, I am using an onboard graphics chips on my bedroom and living room computers and my 1080P .mkv movies play perfect.

Make sure your video setttings are correct in xbmc, such as hardware acceleration, audio passthrough, etc
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
The thing is that it's not even related to XBMC, since just playing a video with Windows Media Player produces the same effect. All I have to do is drag the video from one monitor to the TV, and it gets laggy on the TV because it's using the other graphics card.
but is the correct gpu prossesing the video? for me it sounds like your desktop gpu might be doing all the work...
Yes, it is. I've been monitoring the GPU usage with MSI Afterburner.

When the video is on a PC monitor, it uses GPU1, and the GPU usage is around 8%, and processor usage between 30-50%

When the video is on the TV, it uses GPU2, and the GPU usage is around 30%, and processor usage between 45-70%

Memory usage is 1,5GB (50%) in both situations.

Even though the usage never gets close to 100%, I definitely notice choppiness on the TV but not on the PC monitors.
(2012-11-25, 01:11)Psyact Wrote: So as I say in the topic, although it seems I have a pretty decent system, the video gets choppy with most videos at 720p resolutions and above. My instinct would tell me that the graphics card I'm using is the culprit, but from what I read online it seems everyone thinks it would be more than enough (it's a Radeon HD 6570).

My complete setup is the following:

I am using 1 PC to use both as a "desktop PC", and media center. It has 2 graphic cards, one (a Radeon HD 3850) for 2 PC monitors, and the other (Radeon HD 6570, 2GB DDR3) for the TV. The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo, at 2.66Ghz, and I have 3GB of RAM. I am using Windows 7 32-bit.
It is too confusing for anyone to help you on it.

Is your HTPC connected as following?

1. HD6570-->AVR-->HDTV via 2 HDMI cables

or

2. HD6570-->HDTV via 1 HDMI cables

Are the video files stored in local hard drive?

HD6570 is more than enough to handle any blu-ray file.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-11-25, 05:01)bluray Wrote: 1. HD6570-->AVR-->HDTV via 2 HDMI cables

This one. I've tried connecting to different HDMI inputs on the AV Receiver to see if it made a difference, but it didn't.

Yes, the video files are in a local hard drive.

I don't think it's a problem with the cables though, because I notice the videos get choppier when there's more detail. It's not a consistent choppiness.

(2012-11-25, 05:12)Psyact Wrote:
(2012-11-25, 05:01)bluray Wrote: 1. HD6570-->AVR-->HDTV via 2 HDMI cables

This one. I've tried connecting to different HDMI inputs on the AV Receiver to see if it made a difference, but it didn't.

Yes, the video files are in a local hard drive.

I don't think it's a problem with the cables though, because I notice the videos get choppier when there's more detail. It's not a consistent choppiness.

Have you tried bypassing the AVR all together?

Try direct to TV.

Wow, I did not try that before, I tried it now and it did get better. Although not "perfect" yet. I still get the smoothest video by running it from the PS3, which ironically is connected to the AVR. Maybe that's because of some special filter the PS3 Media Server uses?

And what does this mean, is it a problem in the cable, or the AVR? I would like to have it connected to the AVR for the 5.1 sound.

I will watch some more videos just to be sure.

EDIT: Well, after watching some more times, I can definitely say that by connecting directly to the TV it got a little better, but is not perfect yet. There is still some annoying choppiness, it's just not quite as pronounced as before.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy video with supposedly good hardware0