How to keep XBMC in front of other windows while running fullscreen
Hi all. This seems like something that should already be resolved, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I am running XBMC on an old mac mini running os x 10.5.9 (I like to keep the option open to go back to front row which served me well for a long time with the sapphire plugin). I've been trying XBMC for a while and it's really growing on me, but I have one big problem.

While I'm doing other things, I get a lot of pop up windows and notifications, and applications who's window suddenly decides to jump in front of the XBMC screen (running full screen) and steal the focus from XBMC so that I have to restart it to gain focus so I can use the remote again. I tried using a mac piece of software called Afloat to fix this, but it didn't work. The main culprits are Vuze and Ted, which I keep running all the time. Does anyone know how to fix this? It's very annoying to be in the middle of something and then have to restart my media center to get focus. I do have a keyboard so I can get rid of windows, but that's even worse to go get it from it's dock.

Certainly someone has figured out a solution to this, no?
Ok, so a bit more detailed searching in the forums got me an answer which seems to be working. It was impossible to find using google, so I will post it here in a hope of bringing up it's ranking.

The thread that helped me is here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...w+in+front

The steps to fix this are as follows:

step 1) go to the directory
~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/userdata/

where ~ is your home directory

step 2) create a file called "advancedsettings.xml"

step 3) put the following text inside:

<advancedsettings>
<videoscreen>
<fakefullscreen>false</fakefullscreen>
</videoscreen>
</advancedsettings>

step 4) save the file and restart xbmc

Do i just add your text to the bottom of what's already in my advancedsettings.xml? Doesn't seem to be working for me that way.
Just posted this on this other thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...w+in+front

Quote:Hej,

There is another solution that doesn't require to disable the fake full screen. One of the remote actions is "togglefullscreen", which will switch between window mode and full screen mode. If you map that action to a control (cec, web based), you will be able to change to window mode from the remote (regardless which app is currently in focus) and when you hit it again, it will go back to full screen with the focus, going back to the front of any nasty window that decided to show in front of your XBMC. This will allow you to see other windows (browse) while XBMC is running, and you will be able to give focus back to XBMC using the remote.

Thought might be nice to put it here as well...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to keep XBMC in front of other windows while running fullscreen0