Speakers for my HTPC
I would like to use some "external" speakers. Bitrstreaming is good to have feature but that is not my main goal. What i look for is an option to control everything from my TV remote - a system with CEC support. I am aware that AV receivers have such functions but going this road will pump up the price. I was wondering if there are some HT systems which can act like AV receiver? A stupid question but some have HDMI inputs so where is the catch?
Anyone using such setup?
im using a set of 5.1 external speakers as we speak.
they are connected to my HDTV directly.
my HDTV has a 3.5mm audio out jack in its back.
so the wire goes from there, to the subwoofer audio in jack.
then of course, the sound travels through each speakers wired to my subwoofer.
In that setup the HDTV speakers are muted i suppose and the sound is produced only by the 5.1 speakers which you are turning on manually or with a remote?
tfWell, I'd forget about cec support, or at least be aware of some problems it has.

First, different vendors have different implementations, so your luck will vary. For example, a Sony TV with an onkyo receiver can work or it may not work as expected or don't work at all. I say Onkyo and Sony, but you can change brands as you want, compatibility among different brands can be a problem.

Second, input switching can be a problem. For example, to use only one remote, all devices attached to the avr will have to be hdmi and cec compatible, if not you will only be able to switch to another input using the avr remote or hard keys on the avr. With component and composite analog devices, hdmi cec is obviously not possible.

Third, accessing the different devices menu and advanced functions could only be possible with each remote. Another problem: your remote choice could be limited.. may be you want to use the tv remote but you find not everything works, but with the avr remote it does.

My experience: sony tv with sony avr, with htpc, xbox 360 and wii (all 3 without cec support). I use a harmony remote in combination with cec and it works quite ok. For example, when I switch hdmi devices in the avr, the tv changes to hdmi too. When I go back to live tv, the avr switches to the optical input, however. for the wii it's a bit more problematic. Not to forget that switching the tv on and off does the same to the avr. However, without the harmony remote, in my case cec would be quite useless.

Next, the solution Eskro proposes isn't a very good one. Why? He is feeding a 2 channel analog output to his 5.1 speakers... that means that, in the best case, the center channel and the rears will.get some audio from the system guessing what's the best to output through those speakers. Worst case it will output multistereo (not good for stereo music) or nothing all. It may be selectable, though. Eskro may provide some more info.

To finish, if you give us some more info, like what devices you have, how big your room, what you want ir for (more music, more movies' gaming?) and what your budget is, we may be able to helt a bit more.
@PatrickVogeli thank you for the information. At the moment i have a Sapphire Edge HD3 connected to a Philips 37PFL6007K with a Pulse Eight CEC adapter.
Movies are the main point, but also and music from time to time.
The "room" is like 6m x 5m (~19 x 16 feet) but have only 2 walls and is connected to 2 other rooms without doors.
I would like to avoid AVR because i know nothing about them but when it come to pairing it with speaker then i will be in a big trouble.
Budget... lets say as absolute top 800$ (but if i delay few months, almost certain, will have some more).
I thing that will have to go a Harmony remote then the CEC requirement can be dropped i suppose.

Any remarks about Yamahas AVR?
(2012-11-25, 16:50)NEOhidra Wrote: @PatrickVogeli thank you for the information. At the moment i have a Sapphire Edge HD3 connected to a Philips 37PFL6007K with a Pulse Eight CEC adapter.
Movies are the main point, but also and music from time to time.
The "room" is like 6m x 5m (~19 x 16 feet) but have only 2 walls and is connected to 2 other rooms without doors.
I would like to avoid AVR because i know nothing about them but when it come to pairing it with speaker then i will be in a big trouble.
Budget... lets say as absolute top 800$ (but if i delay few months, almost certain, will have some more).
I thing that will have to go a Harmony remote then the CEC requirement can be dropped i suppose.

Any remarks about Yamahas AVR?

I am a novice at these issues, as it sounds like you are. However, I have a similar room layout and am struggling with similar issues. Also, my budget is similar. Based on my research, I am currently considering the Yamaha YSP-2200 soundbar. The advantage of a soundbar is that you don't have to buy a separate receiver and speakers to get something close to good, surround sound. The ysp-2200 costs $800 new, $600 on eBay.

These are some downsides to be aware of. First, since your room is not a square room with four equal walls, the soundbar won't be able to bounce the sound off of he missing walls to create surround sound correctly. Second, the soundbar is intended more for movies than music: if music is your primary goal, there's probably no better alternative than a receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers.

For more information, you might start here: wirecutter

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone else can provide on this potential solution - like I said, I'm a novice at audio.
with $800 I'd buy an AVR and some speakers.. much better than anything else that you can get.
You may have to do some research but it isn't really an issue. Some suggestions:

Polk Monitor
Pioneer FS52, C22 and/or BS22
Infinty Primus
If you are in the states, you can also have a look at HSU, BIC America, Energy or SVS, all are internet direct brands.

For the subwoofer, SVS and HSU are good awarded, as well.as.some Klipsch ones.

Receiver: any current Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony, Denon or onkyo should do the trick.

Another option, a decent HTIB, like http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S...ystems&p=i

If you come with some specific questions about speaker + AVR I'm sure we'll be able to help. It will take some time to decide on what to get, but it will be worth the effort, trust me. About the speakers not matching the AVR that will be quite difficult, most speakers will be 6 or 8 Ohm, which any AVR will be able.to drive

Oh! Personally I'd stay away from Soundbars... no way a soundbar is gona give you the same quality as a good set of speakers.
(2012-11-25, 15:01)NEOhidra Wrote: In that setup the HDTV speakers are muted i suppose and the sound is produced only by the 5.1 speakers which you are turning on manually or with a remote?

actually, TV speakers aren't muted, they also play.
but i can turn the TV sound off and still have sound through the 5.1 system.

and to control everything, including XBMC and 5.1 and TV,
i use an HARMONY 650 remote, best thing in the world!
(2012-11-25, 16:50)NEOhidra Wrote: Movies are the main point, but also and music from time to time.
For a small 5.1 speaker system, this "Energy RC-Micro 5.1" might be the best system, and you can read some of the user reviews at "Customer Reviews". I installed one system at a friend's house, and his room is almost same size as your room. The sound is amazing. It's paired with this "Onkyo HT-RC360". You shouldn't have to worry about pairing speakers on this AVR, because it included Audyssey auto calibration microphone.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-11-25, 07:25)NEOhidra Wrote: I would like to use some "external" speakers. Bitrstreaming is good to have feature but that is not my main goal. What i look for is an option to control everything from my TV remote - a system with CEC support. I am aware that AV receivers have such functions but going this road will pump up the price. I was wondering if there are some HT systems which can act like AV receiver? A stupid question but some have HDMI inputs so where is the catch?
Anyone using such setup?

this is what im using (Klipsch - ProMedia 2.1 Speaker System ) best buy has them on sale right now for $99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+-+Pr...Id=9382232

they are hooked up directly to my htpc they sound amazing look at the reviews. as far as remote goes i have one the dongles mentioned here on the forum programed to my harmony 300i that i paid $15 for that controls my tv and htpc volume is controled through xbmc very simple,
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
this is what i would go for if i had to buy today

Sony SAVS310
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...kwCjCECjCE

$199 + free shipp --> insane!!
Well, it's really personal preferences, but with $800 he can do much better than that sony system Smile
(2012-11-26, 15:53)PatrickVogeli Wrote: Well, it's really personal preferences, but with $800 he can do much better than that sony system Smile

With $800 you can piece out a great system that will sound nice. Wink

What do you think of this.... Yamaha YHT-597 5.1-Channel Network Home Theater System ?

(2012-11-26, 05:18)lagledavid Wrote:
(2012-11-25, 07:25)NEOhidra Wrote: I would like to use some "external" speakers. Bitrstreaming is good to have feature but that is not my main goal. What i look for is an option to control everything from my TV remote - a system with CEC support. I am aware that AV receivers have such functions but going this road will pump up the price. I was wondering if there are some HT systems which can act like AV receiver? A stupid question but some have HDMI inputs so where is the catch?
Anyone using such setup?

this is what im using (Klipsch - ProMedia 2.1 Speaker System ) best buy has them on sale right now for $99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+-+Pr...Id=9382232

they are hooked up directly to my htpc they sound amazing look at the reviews. as far as remote goes i have one the dongles mentioned here on the forum programed to my harmony 300i that i paid $15 for that controls my tv and htpc volume is controled through xbmc very simple,

I have some Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II hooked up to my HTPC... and they sound also amazing... same thing you are doing with the Klipsch.. it work's but I do miss a receiver.... looking for a new set-up also....

(2012-11-26, 00:26)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-25, 16:50)NEOhidra Wrote: Movies are the main point, but also and music from time to time.
For a small 5.1 speaker system, this "Energy RC-Micro 5.1" might be the best system, and you can read some of the user reviews at "Customer Reviews". I installed one system at a friend's house, and his room is almost same size as your room. The sound is amazing. It's paired with this "Onkyo HT-RC360". You shouldn't have to worry about pairing speakers on this AVR, because it included Audyssey auto calibration microphone.....

It is a good combo.... I have heard the Energy RC-Micro's... nice small little speakers with great sound.
The thing about a lot of these HTIB systems is that the speakers are usually quite small, with small drivers and done with cheap components. You are much better buying bookshelf speakers with at least a 4-5" woofer. Of course, price can be a limiting factor, but I'd rather start with 2.0 or 2.1 system and upgrade as money is available than getting one of those cheap packes. I also understand that, sometimes, only small speakers fit. But if there is some room, buying some entry level bookshelfs is a much better approach that those HTIBs.

Also, there are some budget lines which go on sale very often, like the pioneers (FS51, C21, BS21 and the newer versions ending in 2), the polk monitors and the Infinity Primus. If you are in the States, those can be had at very good prices and make a very good budget system, certainly better than any HTIB, and not that more expensive. The key: wait until they go on sale.

The receiver is also not problematic, finding a nice AVR for $200 - $300 is doable and you'll have quite a few to choose.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speakers for my HTPC1