Speakers for my HTPC
(2012-11-25, 19:20)PatrickVogeli Wrote: with $800 I'd buy an AVR and some speakers.. much better than anything else that you can get.
I can spend 800$ but i hope to get a cheaper system Smile And a HTiB (Home theater in a box) is just for me - safe at least if i go with a receiver, not a 5.1/7.1 system. These HTiB systems are pricier and i doubt that will produce a noticeable different sound - or it does make a difference? I jusr found a Onkyo HT-S6505 for 874$ which make me less interested in HTiB.

(2012-11-25, 23:21)eskro Wrote: i use an HARMONY 650 remote, best thing in the world!
Indeed with a harmony remote and a 5.1 system like Logitech Z906 i can get the same result as a AVR with CEC functionality but it will work for sure. I understood that some devices have slightly different implementation of the CEC functionality which might result in some "BUG"s. Well the sound in this case probably cant be compared to a HTiB solution but the prise of 463$ does make it more attractive to me. Also i like Microlab H600 for just 385$.

(2012-11-26, 00:26)bluray Wrote: For a small 5.1 speaker system, this "Energy RC-Micro 5.1" might be the best system, and you can read some of the user reviews at "Customer Reviews".
The delivery price would be high and since i am not in the US or near my choice is limited. I might find it somewhere else but for now i cannot. Thank you for the suggestion.

(2012-11-26, 15:40)eskro Wrote: this is what i would go for if i had to buy today

Sony SAVS310
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...kwCjCECjCE

$199 + free shipp --> insane!!
Cheap but not available to me as many other products.

(2012-11-26, 16:46)PatrickVogeli Wrote: The thing about a lot of these HTIB systems is that the speakers are usually quite small, with small drivers and done with cheap components. You are much better buying bookshelf speakers with at least a 4-5" woofer. Of course, price can be a limiting factor, but I'd rather start with 2.0 or 2.1 system and upgrade as money is available than getting one of those cheap packes.
Definitely would be the best way.

Thank you all! Will have your comments in mind. If i decide give all my 800$ will go with a AVR with a 2 speakers and a sub (for now) if not will look a for a few more 5.1/7.1 sound systems (i doubt that 7.1 would fit at all in my room).

I just found a Pioneer HTP-SL100 for 629$ - lacks many of the wireless functionality that Onkyo HT-S6505 offers but is almost 200$ cheaper.
I always wanted to buy and try a pair of BIC America Venturi DV64 and a BIC America F12 sub as a 2.1 system...

From reviews they sound awesome... Wink

Too many options....

If I was going to purchase this set-up and add the BIC America DV-62CLRS center channel speaker to have better
dialog will it be ok for it to be a 3.1 system? or just keep it as a 2.1?

(2012-11-26, 18:04)NEOhidra Wrote:
(2012-11-26, 00:26)bluray Wrote: For a small 5.1 speaker system, this "Energy RC-Micro 5.1" might be the best system, and you can read some of the user reviews at "Customer Reviews".
The delivery price would be high and since i am not in the US or near my choice is limited. I might find it somewhere else but for now i cannot. Thank you for the suggestion.
The links I listed are in eBay.co.uk.....what site are you normally shop for electronics?

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I prefer (e)shops in Bulgaria. I go abroad only if i want something badly and cannot find it - usually that means EU (amazon/.de/co.uk).
I might get a discount for Yamaha RX-V573 (500$ at the moment) or RX-V473 which is basically the same but 5.1 receiver which is 100$ cheaper. Then i would combine it with Jamo S-506 HCS 3 (397$) - can i combine them? I may choose the speakers separately but i would have to know something more about the spec.
I have greater choice between Yamaha receivers and JAMO speakers so that is what i look for at the moment.

Any advice on how to pair speakers and AVR? The impedance should match and а small power discrepancy is acceptable i suppose.
(2012-11-26, 20:24)NEOhidra Wrote: or RX-V473 which is basically the same but 5.1 receiver which is 100$ cheaper. Then i would combine it with Jamo S-506 HCS 3 (397$) - can i combine them?
This combination is better than anything we suggested in this thread.....I used to have an older 5.1 Jamo speaker system, and I enjoyed it very much......

The option of Yamaha and Jamo seems a winner! Yamaha AVRs are fine for the price, and the speakers should be much better than those very small speakers of a lot of Home Theater packages and HTIBs. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
must have read too fast, didnt know u were in BG
I didn't mentioned it before... wanted to check every suggestion or idea. The combination is fine it is time to check to the price - i hope for a significant cut!
(2012-11-27, 00:03)NEOhidra Wrote: I didn't mentioned it before... wanted to check every suggestion or idea. The combination is fine it is time to check to the price - i hope for a significant cut!

Hey the Yamaha RX-V473 looks like a decent receiver...

Been reading on it. Wink

Like you said it's cheaper then the RX-V573....

The RX-V473 is on my list to consider when ever I also upgrade.

what's the point of getting a 5.1 instead of a 7.1? required space for 2 more speakers?

reason i ask is i am about the pull the trigger on a receiver for a home theater and i can't decide whether to put the extra $$$ somewhere else. been looking at denon's, but now i don't know, too many decisions
Yeah, basically 5.1 requires 2 less speakers, and the rear/surround speakers tend to be the harder ones to install because of the difficulty of running and hiding the speaker wiring. The rear speakers in 7.1 'need' to be a decent distant behind the listening position for proper imaging, this isn't possible in a room where the couch is against the back wall, so 5.1 would be the preferred layout in that situation. That said though if you are buying a receiver go for the 7.1 over the 5.1 all else being equal, you don't need to run all the speakers. A 7.1 AVR will function just fine setup for 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, etc etc up to 7.1. An additional option on many 7.1 AVRs is to use the prologic IIz speaker layout instead of the 'classic' IIx. In IIz the 6&7 speaker are used as front highs and are supposed to give more height to the front sound stage. I setup 7.1 IIz in my setup because it would have been difficult to run the wires for the 6&7 rear surrounds. Even with only 2 speakers for surround I get very good movement and surround effects. It's all in the proper placement of the speakers I think, mine are positioned almost ideally according to the dolby guidelines.

As to speaker choices and system choices I think I would start with the speaker type and size that I could deal with (think WAF) and go from there. The best sound is typically going to come from a 7.1 or even 9.1 system, using tower speakers (or bookshelfs on stands), in a room with enough space behind the listening position for proper speaker placement. Unfortunately many times the room layout isn't optimal for speaker placement and in a multipurpose room (think living room or rec room) maybe you don't want big expensive tower speakers standing 2 or 3 feet away from the corners of the room. I would start with the ideal placement, adjusted to your room, then decide on the size/type of speaker then work back from there to a HTiB or component system choices. As for AVRs they might seem quite scary at first but they're really not too bad. A real AVR offers so much flexibility and a really clean simple layout with modern HDMI components. I have an AVR with 6 HDMI inputs, all my devices send the HDMI signal to the AVR then there's just one HDMI to the TV. The wiring is simple and logical, I utilize the AVR/speaker system for all the sound and switching, the TV is left to just turn on and off and display the content. Everything was really easy to setup on a Harmony remote and it all works off the one remote. Typical HTiB systems can limit you when you want to expand the system because of limited inputs/outputs and difficulty hooking up a 'real' subwoofer.
(2012-11-27, 05:30)jht3 Wrote: what's the point of getting a 5.1 instead of a 7.1? required space for 2 more speakers?

Because (in my case) i might get it at the price of a 5.1 AVR.

(2012-11-27, 06:49)fvtalon Wrote: Yeah, basically 5.1 requires 2 less speakers, and the rear/surround speakers tend to be the harder ones to install because of the difficulty of running and hiding the speaker wiring. The rear speakers in 7.1 'need' to be a decent distant behind the listening position for proper imaging, this isn't possible in a room where the couch is against the back wall, so 5.1 would be the preferred layout in that situation.
If it is too difficult to run wire to the back for the extra speakers, you don't have to run it. You can make 7.1 system with 2 front speakers as high or wide......that is what I had, and I like it better than the 7.1 with two rear speakers....

(2012-11-27, 07:37)NEOhidra Wrote:
(2012-11-27, 05:30)jht3 Wrote: what's the point of getting a 5.1 instead of a 7.1? required space for 2 more speakers?

Because (in my case) i might get it at the price of a 5.1 AVR.
If you can get it as 7.1, I'm suggesting set it up with 2 front wide speakers......you'll like it!

Hello,

I think that this is a good combo..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JF8...7EE7U53NWQ

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049P2...UTF8&psc=1

If you want to go all out and make it a 7.1 add these for incredible sound....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZJ6...W39APRTPXR

Hobs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speakers for my HTPC1