Networking Issues
I am having a hard time trying to find out what's the benchmark in my network.

I'll start by listing my hardware:
1) HP Microserver NL36 (WHS Server, upstairs) - 1Gbps ethernet
2) Acer R3700 (XBMC, downstairs directly below server) - 1Gbps ethernet, 65Mbps wireless
3) TP-Link WDR4300 (Router) - 1Gbps ethernet, 300+450Mbps wireless

The server is connected directly to the router through Lan. Initially, I connected XBMC wirelessly but playback had frequent buffering issues and will fail halfway into the movie (720p). The smb shares on the server are mapped as network drives on the xbmc pc.

I used iperf to check my connection, with the Server as the test server. It recorded the connection from XBMC to Server at ~20Mbps which is quiet disappointing as I expected at least 50Mbps. I then tried to connect through ethernet, and it recorded at only 60-80Mbps although playback is smooth now but it's through a Gbit router?

I have tried my other laptops as well, and iperf recorded the same results for the wireless/lan. I have another Gbit switch which I tried and I still cant reach Gbit. My cables are all Cat6 and network controllers can actually support 1Gbps.

Does anyone know what's wrong, or what else can I do to identify the problem? Ideally I would like to increase my wireless connection so that my other devices (ipad, pcs etc.) can stream fine too.

*ran iperf on the Server using it as both the server and client, 855Mbps
Firstly I expect you mean MBps (mega bytes), not Mbps (mega bits).

That being said 80 is likely to be the best you will get with samba. The theoretical max would be 125MBps, once you take out the network overhead 80 is pretty good.

NFS is faster then SMB if you are able to use it.

20MBps seems normal for 54g wifi. Have you tried changing wifi channels?
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Thanks for your reply.

I believe they're in 80Mbps which ~ 8MB/s transfers. I am not getting 80MB/s when transferring files over. If I were, then yes it would be fine for a 1gigabit connection.

I have already tried changing wifi channels, toggling enhancements in the router settings etc. The best I could achieve was 20Mbps.

I will look into NFS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Networking Issues0