Intermittent audio issues in Windows8
Hello XBMC peoples,

I recently bought and installed and activated my copy of Windows 8 and am running XBMC 11 (Eden) on it and I am having intermittent audio issues.

About half the time my computer boots up from scratch into Windows8 and then I launch XBMC, I have no audio navigating around the XBMC menus and no audio coming from my media files.

I can ctrl-alt-delete and get into task manager, end the XBMC task, then re-launch and audio works perfectly.

Other times I boot up into Windows8 and launch XBMC I have no issues whatsoever.

I am assuming this is either a driver issue with Windows 8 and my onboard audio chipset or a bug in XBMC possibly? I am on the latest MB drivers already..

I had no audio issues while running XBMC on Linux so I know my hardware shouldn't be the problem...

Any others with similar issues or suggestions here?
Hi toost1cky,

how do you start XBMC?
Maybe it's a timing issue?
Have you tried to delay the start of XBMC for a few seconds?
Does your problem also appear if you do not start XBMC automatically but manual?

Cheers,
Walter
Walter,

I am encountering the same intermittent audio issue when I booted directly into XBMC and also if I boot normally into windows and then launch XBMC manually.

I notice that if I first go into the Windows Desktop screen, I see the spinning wheel like some background programs are still booting up for about 20 seconds and then I get that audio issue still about half the time. Re-starting XBMC fixes the issue so maybe it is still a timing thing. I will try maybe waiting a full minute or two more after a full bootup and see if that helps.

Thanks for the pointers so far
What have you set as your default playback device under Windows?
Have you disabled all enhancements and set the option to allow applications to take exclusive control?

Are there other autostart tools that are loading with windows (e.g. Realtec Audio Tool, etc.) that might cause the problem?

Cheers,
Walter
YES I fixed it, thanks again Walt.

I just installed Frodo version 12 to see if that would help and still no go that was not it I still had to boot up XMBC twice to get sound working. However I just drank some coffee and was not yet defeated so I kept poking around and found the problem and solution.

I feel stupid that I didn't catch this before but under XMBC -> System -> Settings -> System -> Audio Output, it was originally set to "default" and all I had to do was set it to my audio device which for me was labeled "DirectSound HDMI". Saved it and rebooted a few times to test and now my audio issue is completely fixed. XBMC user for 9+ years now, lovin it!

Quote:XBMC user for 9+ years now, lovin it!

Over nine years and only 4 posts? Dive in a bit more often.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intermittent audio issues in Windows80