Linux Black screen on install of Eden when connected to TV
My first installation of XBMC.
Specs AMD X2 240, ATI Radeon HD 4650.

Used Lili to put XBMCbuntu 11.0 on a USB.
Connected PC to <PC In> of 42" Panasonic(TH-L42S10) via VGA cable.
Plug in the USB and boot.
BIOS displays successfully on TV.
XBMC installation boot splash displays...
... then black screen.

At this point, I turn off the power and connect my PC to a CRT monitor via VGA cable.
I boot via USB, boot splash displays, and I can view the installation screen on the CRT.
I proceed with the installation on the CRT successfully,
XBMC works!

Now I connect my PC back to the TV and try booting into XBMC...
... same as before, I get a black screen after the boot splash.
If I switch to the CRT at this point, I see the welcome screen.
Then when I switch back to the TV, XBMC displays on the TV! but only at 1024x768 resolution =(

Any advice? I'm really quite new to all this, thanks =)
Try adding nomodeset to kernel parameters.
a quick google search tells me the TV has HDMI, so you really should use it. VGA won't give you FullHD and has other serious drawbacks.
(2012-11-26, 10:20)FernetMenta Wrote: Try adding nomodeset to kernel parameters.

With this option I see a low resolution boot splash... but after that I'm still booting into a black screen.

(2012-11-26, 10:31)wsnipex Wrote: a quick google search tells me the TV has HDMI, so you really should use it. VGA won't give you FullHD and has other serious drawbacks.

My video card only has VGA and DVI, if I connect a VGA/DVI to HDMI adapter to <HDMI In>, doesn't that mean video only?
I have a separate cable from the green connector to <Audio In>, but I don't think my TV can display video from one channel and audio from another.
(2012-11-26, 14:09)oinkl Wrote: My video card only has VGA and DVI, if I connect a VGA/DVI to HDMI adapter to <HDMI In>, doesn't that mean video only?
I have a separate cable from the green connector to <Audio In>, but I don't think my TV can display video from one channel and audio from another.

Wait what?

You already have separate video signal coming from VGA (video Only) and the green connector to audio why wouldn't connecting the DVI end up the same confused setup?

So because DVI doesn't support audio you continue with the separate (green) for audio cable anyway.

You will probably need a DVI>HDMI converter any bog standard converted will do. DVI can stream up to 1920×1200 HD video so you would get full 1920x1080 if your TV supports full HD

Or am I missing something obvious here?

uNi
My intended setup:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842...77jnx.jpg/

VGA connected to PC, audio cables connected to green connector
PC channel selected on TV, audio comes in from <AV2 In>

But HDMI is suggested:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/521/img0078jo.jpg/

If I select HDMI channel, where does the audio come in from, since DVI doesnt transmit audio..?
Where does it come from with you VGA cable setup?

It will be same source as with your VGA which is AV2

If you use a DVI to HDMI converter you need to use alternate audio which is AV2

I already explained this on my previous post.

uNi
In the first setup:
- VGA from PC is connected to <PC In> of TV
- PC Line Out(Green) from PC is connected to <AV 2 In> of TV
- <PC> channel on TV displays video from <PC In> and audio from <AV 2 In>
- By selecting <PC> channel on TV, I get both audio and video from my PC

In the second proposed setup:
- DVI from PC is connected to <HDMI 1> of TV via DVI / HDMI adapter
- PC Line Out(Green) from PC is connected to <AV 2 In> of TV
- <HDMI 1> channel on TV displays video from <HDMI 1> and audio from <HDMI 1>
- By selecting <HDMI 1> channel on TV, I get video from my PC, but no audio
- ... unless there is an option to play audio from <AV 2 In> and video from <HDMI 1>, which I can't find on my TV

I'm not sure if theres other options to connect PC to TV via HDMI, thats why I'm using VGA now.
And using VGA cable, I'm getting black screen after the XBMC boot splash.

Any advice? Thanks...
My TV wouldn't support this kind of setup either. When video is connected to HDMI audio has to be the same source. There is nothing in the setup menu which lets you change this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen on install of Eden when connected to TV0