I've been struggling with this for a long time, and tried a lot of options, but never succeeded on having XBMC to perform as well as foobar.
With version 12.0 I was hoping that the new AudioEngine could resolve my problem, but it's the same.
In foobar I'm using ASIO and all the effects are disabled. The audio tracks are FLAC 16/44.
In XBMC I'm using WASAPI as output sound driver. (on previous versions, before WASAPI was available, directsound was really bad)
My HTPC setup:
- Asus XONAR STX Audiophile sound card (equiped with an outstanding Burr-brown DAC)
- NAD amplifier + JMLab focal floorstand
This is what I already tried without success:
- I was using Windows 7, and read somewhere that Windows 8 had better sound. So I upgraded to win8, but it's the same. Now the boot takes much longer.
- In windows sound settings, the sound card is setup for exclusive mode access.
- Tried Asus drivers as well as third-party drivers for this sound card: Unified ASUS.
Does anyone know what I should do to get a better sound quality from XBMC? All suggestions are welcome.