SSD 120 GB - Crucial M4, Intel 520 or Samsung 830 / 840
Quote:Ok. yes, I agree with you on that. Sorry, I thought you meant ALL SSD's

Since the prices have dropped considerably, there is really little reason to go with any of the second tier SSDs IMHO.

I currently have M4 and 830 drives in 2 xbmc builds. Boot time is nearly identical as well as overall responsiveness. Haven't checked power consumption but I assume it would be close.

(2012-11-27, 22:32)DeanM3 Wrote:
Quote:Ok. yes, I agree with you on that. Sorry, I thought you meant ALL SSD's

Since the prices have dropped considerably, there is really little reason to go with any of the second tier SSDs IMHO.

I currently have M4 and 830 drives in 2 xbmc builds. Boot time is nearly identical as well as overall responsiveness. Haven't checked power consumption but I assume it would be close.

Would you consider the Kingston drive I referenced above a "second tier drive"?
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2012-11-28, 02:50)maddog808 Wrote: Would you consider the Kingston drive I referenced above a "second tier drive"?

Yes Kingston SSD's would be considered second tier. I just picked up a 64Gb Kingston during Black Friday sales for $49 which should arrive tomorrow. From the specs it's about 1/3 to 1/2 the speed of my M4 so we'll see how it goes. It's only for a secondary E350-based WMC/XBMC client for the basement anyway.
+1 Malosar

30 Helen's Agree that although there are cheaper brands available the Crucial, Intel & Samsung crowd do seem to be the best reviewed. As with most things you get what you pay for.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-11-28, 05:37)thethirdnut Wrote: +1 Malosar

30 Helen's Agree that although there are cheaper brands available the Crucial, Intel & Samsung crowd do seem to be the best reviewed. As with most things you get what you pay for.

So these reviews don't mean much, I guess?

Newegg

Tigerdirect

Amazon

Storagereview.com

Or did someone on another site review this Kingston drive as "second tier"?

What exactly determines whether a drive is first or second tier?

My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
@maddog808 - You'll have to ask Helen(s). Their opinions are of course completely backed up by voluminous facts, however, I just can't seem to find them right now since I am drinking gin...

The Kingston SSD does seem to have good reviews - buy it!

Beyond that Mr Google does indeed still show good placement for the said 'Crucial, Intel & Samsung crowd'. Brand-spanking new SSD firmware is still another matter...

If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD 120 GB - Crucial M4, Intel 520 or Samsung 830 / 8400