Lost Newbie has a bunch of questions
Lost Newbie has a bunch of questions

I downloaded XBMC a couple of weeks ago and have been playing around with it. The plan is once I get comfortable with it and get it set up how I want it on my pc, I want to then build a dedicated htpc to hook up to my tv and receiver. Unfortunately I think I would have to use Windows for the dedicated htpc. I would like to use the Linux (Ubuntu ?) since it wouldn't cost anything for the os, but I have no experience using Ubuntu or even Linux. So I think that would be biting of more then I can chew seeing how I'm having problems with just XBMC.

I do have a few questions (ok a bunch, but I'll try to not over do it on this 1st post). I have searched for the answers and either haven't found an answer or found one that I understand. I am not overly computer savvy, but if I have detailed instructions, usually I will do alright.

1. For my music files I already have started to rip my cds, I've been ripping them to FLAC then converting the FLACs to MP3s so I have a FLAC copy and an MP3 copy of each album. How I organize the folders is that I make a folder for each artist, then a folder for each album of that artist, then I make a separate folder for the FLACs, MP3s & album art.
Example:

James\Laid\FLAC
James\Laid\MP3
James\Laid\Album Art

Problem with this is that when I import my music to XBMC I get 2 copies of every album & song. Is there a way that I could only import FLACs and not have XBMC import any MP3s

2. For movies I plan on ripping each Blu-Ray & DVD to .mkv. I would like to have the movie then also rip any special features that are on the disc. I've tried it with one title so far, Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery (DVD). I got the movie as one file then got the deleted scenes, alternative ending & trailer as other files. When I import the folder I end up with each one being in the movie list. Is there a way to have the Movie section mimic the TV Shows section in that you select the movie then it lists what's available to watch and you select the movie or one of the special features from there. Example:

Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery
---->Movie
---->Deleted Scenes
---->Alternative Ending
---->Trailer

I have a bunch more questions but I think those 2 are a good start.

Thanks for any help you may give me.
hi and welcome

1. you can do this by modifying your advanced settings - see the wiki here for details. However this would prevent scanning of all albums with mp3s and might have some other consequences. There could also be some issues with keeping your album art in a separate folder.

I would suggest that you use a different filing system for your music. I assume that you have mp3 versions of the albums for use on a portable media player or some other use case rather than in XBMC. If this is the case then you could set up your music as
Code:
Music
-flac
--James
---Laid
-mp3
--James
---Laid

And store your album art either in each folder according to the naming conventions. See the wiki here

2. I'm not sure of the best way to manage this. It is importing all of these as it is looking at the parent folder title and then finding multiple video files under this folder.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
+1 to rocketpants for music.

I have same scenario too...

music\flac\<artist>\<album>
music\mp3\<artist>\<album>

And then only import flac directory.

Point #2 isn't as easy...I just choose upon ripping which cut of the movie I want and dump the rest....the last time I've sat down to watch Special Features...is never.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-11-27, 04:12)thethirdnut Wrote: And then only import flac directory.

Forgot that important point Smile
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lost Newbie has a bunch of questions0