Combo Box HTPC and Gaming
Hey everyone, looking for some input...I have already ordered the "stuff" to build my first HTPC (in a LONG LONG TIME), but I know (or I think I do) that this first box will be no gamer Smile

Here is that build, or the start of it. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146078

Now I would like to go ahead and start planning my second build. In this build I would like to shoot for double duty. I of course want a powerful XBMC machine, but for this one I would like to do some gaming (like the new command and conquer, maybe diablo 3, etc) as well.

Looking for some thoughts from all the XBMC experts here, as I am sure some of you are gamers as well. This box does not have to be a mini, but would prefer a small as makes sense while still being able to get reasonable cooling without it sounding like a jet motor. I know this won't be silent by any means...

So could some of you suggest your builds, looking to get the best bang for my buck overall. Dont want to spend a fortune on this thing, but I also doubt I will do it for a couple hundred bucks like I did that little AMD build above.
Well with all the views it seems like the interest is there for this discussion. Anyone want to weigh in?
Well to be honest you would basically build a gaming PC as opposed to a HTPC, the only difference being sticking to something like Micro ATX with an appropriate case you would like. Any gaming system you buy is going to be able to do anything in respect to HTPC and XBMC use so it's really down to how much you want to spend on the processor and GPU for gaming and what resolution you're going to run at.

Keeping it quiet just requires spending more on good quality quiet fans. My latest desktop gaming system is very quiet despite even overclocking the CPU and GPU, all because of the quality of the coolers, quiet case fans and good airflow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Combo Box HTPC and Gaming0