What is the Master user?
What is the Master user? How is it different from other users, aside from the fact that it apparently can't be deleted?

Is it the same thing as what the Wiki and some menu options call the "Default user"? If so it seems to be a misnomer, as the login does not default to it, but to the last logged in user.

Are Profile and User also used more or less synonymously?

And is it true, as it seems, that whatever sources are added to the Master user are also added to other users, even if they are set to have separate sources? If so, what is the logic behind that?

As you can see, I'm a bit confused after reading and playing with XBMC intensively for a week or so.
Thanks.
Master users is the main Profile, and has the ability to use some master lock (wiki) features that other users can't.

Yes, same thing. It was probably called "default" because by default you are using the "master profile" even if you don't set up any additional profiles.

yes.

No. If they are set to have separate sources then they will have separate sources.
My experience over the past few days experimenting with profiles would seem to agree with what Glorious1 had heard about sources.

I've setup a kids account set with separate media info and separate sources, yet when I change to the profile it can still see and play media from the master profile. I've added a sources.xml to the kids profile, but that has had no effect.

I just tried moving the sources.xml from my master profile to a new test profile but still every profile can see and play everything.
The switching user thing wasn't really working out for me. The possible cross-contamination of "separate" sources was just one issue (I won't swear it happened, but the whole structure of users, profiles, skins, sources, playlists, etc. has been a bit confusing to be frank).

What I settled on was playlists, with the non-kid friendly stuff on a locked source and separate playlist. To select it, you just select the playlist, then unlock the source, it's not too hard once you get the clicking straight. The nice thing is, when you quit and restart, the locked sources are automatically gone ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the Master user?0