UK DVB-T2 HDTV Playback choppy
Just checked VRAM - it's set at 512MB. I think that should be sufficient for OE?

I also noticed, while poking around in the BIOS, that I had a fan setting of "Ultra silent" or something similar - basically slowest possible. I've now set that back to "normal". I can hear the fan going faster and the GPU now runs at closer to 70 degrees. After a quick test, things seem to be OK - no stuttering!

I can't find a limit published for the ION chip but it seems that above 90 degrees causes issues.

I've been wrestling with this problem for a few months now so I'm not going to say I've solved it yet but I'm moderately optimistic...

I'll report back and thanks for your help.
Interesting. Maybe the chip has some kind of self protection and powers down before getting too hot.
I was used to have a fanless GT220 in my former box. In order to make it fit into the case I had to cut a piece from the cooler. The chip regularly was above 90 without problems. But of course was no ION.
It's well known that IONs get hot - otherwise, how would you flatten your shirts?

Good luck, then, James - I hope this is your issue. If it is, I'd expect a full power-down-and-go-cold would mean that the problem would be less apparent than once the system is hot.

If it comes back, my next suggestion would be to try OE 32-bit from a USB stick, try copying your media locally or using NFS instead of SM/CIFS,

Or spend two hundred quid on a Revo or Pivos...
I spent a couple of hours yesterday evening allowing HDTV to play on the system without a glitch! GPU temperature reached about 87 degrees after this time - still hot but evidently not reaching throttling point. With just the menu or SD content it seems to settle closer to 75.

Interestingly I had a few false dawns in the process of chasing this down when I started up HDTV and it played fine for a few minutes. Just as I was about to start celebrating the jerky playback would start again. In hindsight it all makes sense!

@yaffle - I was just about to give up and buy a Revo but it looks like I won't need to now Big Grin

Cheers,

James.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UK DVB-T2 HDTV Playback choppy0