home videos
please explain to me in a simple way
1. how to define my home videos from my NAS, in XBMC
2. how to get a list of and view theese videos

After searching the web, I have understood that home videos in XBMC is not straightforward.
If I'm right, I am a little disappointed.

Windows media center has a separate menu for videos and one for movies. And no hazzle to define home videos in the media center.
Why is that not the case with XBMC also?

thanks a lot
What i do is upload all my videos to youtube and then use the YouTube addon to view them when i want. I know its not what u want to just a suggestion.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Add a new source and name it home videos (or whatever you want) and be sure that content is set to none. Once added, simply go to Videos and select the "Files" submenu item. From the Files root, you should see your home videos directory, just click on it and all of your videos will be there.
Is there any way to get your home movies into the library - WITHOUT creating an .nfo file for each one? Or is there some way to automatically create an .nfo file for a set of videos?
You need to provide some metadata for your home videos so these items can be catalogued into the library. Since there's no external source of such information that you can scrape, you have to provide that information by way of nfo files. Even if you can automatically generate nfo files for each of your home videos, you'll still want to manually enter additional information (e.g., event type, date, attendees, location, synopsis, etc.) to take better advantage of what the library gives you; otherwise, you might just as well view these videos in Files mode.
(2012-11-29, 21:10)artrafael Wrote: You need to provide some metadata for your home videos so these items can be catalogued into the library. Since there's no external source of such information that you can scrape, you have to provide that information by way of nfo files. Even if you can automatically generate nfo files for each of your home videos, you'll still want to manually enter additional information (e.g., event type, date, attendees, location, synopsis, etc.) to take better advantage of what the library gives you; otherwise, you might just as well view these videos in Files mode.

Thanks for that.

Ideally I would like to create an nfo file per file that has as the "Movie Title" the name of the file (without the extension), the date of creation, and includes it in the "Home Movies" set.

Are you aware of any addons, apps, scripts, etc... that could assist in automating this process?

The problem is that I have hundreds of clips that I want to include in a library as home videos, and for ease of use for the rest of the family, keeping them in the Movies Library as a set called "Home Movies" is preferred over accessing them via the video files menu.

I set mine up as a TV Show with each year being a season, It has worked quite well.
(2012-11-29, 23:54)Amra Wrote: I set mine up as a TV Show with each year being a season, It has worked quite well.

Interesting approach - I would consider that as well!

I am more concerned about how to deal with the shear volume. Did you use any tools to automate creation of the nfo files?
(2012-11-29, 21:16)Icarus3000 Wrote:
(2012-11-29, 21:10)artrafael Wrote: You need to provide some metadata for your home videos so these items can be catalogued into the library. Since there's no external source of such information that you can scrape, you have to provide that information by way of nfo files. Even if you can automatically generate nfo files for each of your home videos, you'll still want to manually enter additional information (e.g., event type, date, attendees, location, synopsis, etc.) to take better advantage of what the library gives you; otherwise, you might just as well view these videos in Files mode.

Thanks for that.

Ideally I would like to create an nfo file per file that has as the "Movie Title" the name of the file (without the extension), the date of creation, and includes it in the "Home Movies" set.

Are you aware of any addons, apps, scripts, etc... that could assist in automating this process?

The problem is that I have hundreds of clips that I want to include in a library as home videos, and for ease of use for the rest of the family, keeping them in the Movies Library as a set called "Home Movies" is preferred over accessing them via the video files menu.

You could try Media Companion 3.507b. This now has Home Movie functionality, enter your info for each movie, and creates a nfo for each video file. Also allows to create a thumbnail.
http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/releases/view/96839

Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
(2012-11-30, 01:24)vbat99 Wrote: You could try Media Companion 3.507b. This now has Home Movie functionality, enter your info for each movie, and creates a nfo for each video file. Also allows to create a thumbnail.
http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/releases/view/96839

Looks interesting, will check it out. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
home videos0