Is Intel going to kill off the CPU socket?
A soldered CPU could present a number of advantages as mentioned. The other thing is say you had a Sandy Bridge 1155 socket mobo, ivy bridge is still 1155 so you could swap but you won't get all the advantages out of the IVB as you would if you went to the new IVB chipsets, right? Chances are too if you're swapping from SB to IVB its because you need the latest and greatest too so it stands to reason you'd also be after the matching IVB mobo.

As far as the increased integration, ya all in one stuff sucks when one part fails but we already have in many cases, all the ports, graphics, sound, LAN, USB, etc integrated in the mobo. The days of filling an ATX board to get a full featured computer and long gone already, this is just one more thing.

What worries me more is that Intel makes mobos too and it sounds from the article like they surprised the other mobo makers with this announcement and want more of AMDs market share. To lose the variety of mobo makers and have AMD fall off the map would be detrimental. Choice is always good for the consumer.

The other thing these days too is things are changing because I think we've reached a point where the hardware is way beyond the needs of Joe Average computer user. If your needs are web browsing, email, watching youtube videos, facebook and the occasional word document or something and a couple games any new computer can handle that, including the one that fits in your pocket and doubles as a phone. Even serious PC gamers don't need the top of the line cpus.
It's not so much as being able to upgrade or change the CPU, but the option of selecting the CPU that fits your needs and budget during the inital purchase phase.... Not everyone wants the machine processor and board. The CPU being integrated means we will have less combinational choices to choose from
That's a concern too. For mainstream uses there should be lots of choice but you might lose the ability to pair a higher end board with tons of SATA ports to a low end processor like a G530 for use in an Unraid server for instance.
I'm willing to bet a small sum of money that we'll see:

-- fewer mobo/CPU models, but likely cheaper for mainstream choices
-- AMD + other x86 mobo manufacturers will follow the lead eventually too
-- the mobile + 'PC' line will get more and more blurred....maybe merge in 5-10 years
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Intel going to kill off the CPU socket?0