Win XBMC Buddy for Windows 8/RT
If any of you are running Windows 8/RT my new app, XBMC Buddy is now in the store. The app gives the ability to send links to online video/audio from a Windows device to an XBMC device using the Windows 'share charm'. The XBMC device will do the actual streaming/playback.

For example, you find a cool online video in a Youtube app or on a webpage in IE, then bring up the share charm, select XBMC Buddy, and the link to the video (or audio) is sent over your network to XBMC which then plays the file. Works great with Youtube and video podcasts.

In a nutshell it gives DLNA type functionality to XBMC within the Windows modern UI.

One of my users has been having trouble getting it to work, so please let me know if you use the app and have any problems. I can't reproduce the user's error on my setup. I'm keen on making this app better (especially in the area of success rate in finding videos), so any feedback on apps or websites that don't work with it would be appreciated.

App is PAID (lowest price tier in your country) with a week long free trial.

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/xbm...fd0d984899
Looks like a great app. Thanks for your hard work, not to useful for me now as my desktop is in the same room as my TV and Media PC but I am sure it will help someone out.
Setup:
HTPC: Acer Revo 3610 (openELEC 3.0.2) with Aeon Nox (4)
NAS: unRAID 5rc12a on an Intel 3GHz Core2Duo with 4GB of RAM and 5 2TB WD EARS Green Drives
Running: SickBeard, CouchPotato v2, Headphones, Maraschino, Plex and SimplePlugins
doesnt work for me Sad
i get "settings not working. is XBMC on ?" the address and the port are both correct
Sorry, but I had replied to this and somehow my reply isn't here...I must have forgot to post it! Anyway, here are my troubleshooting suggestions:

(the error message you are getting suggests that XBMC Buddy can't 'see' your XBMC at all)

1) Make sure your XMBC HTTP control settings allow control from other sources
2) Make sure your XBMC remote access doesn't have a username/password set up
3) Install a different XBMC app and see if that can connect without issue
4) Make sure your XBMC version is recent (10+ should be fine) and NOT a random beta version (I've noticed some beta versions don't seem to work and may be missing certain components the app relies on)
5) Try accessing your XBMC via your browser by navigating to the IP address to see if it's accessible over HTTP

1) allows
2) no user/password
3) ios official remote works as advertised
4) ver 11 eden
5) works
any other ideas ?
maybe a log file that gives me the exact error message.... ?
Here are a couple of other things to check:

1) Paste this into your browser address bar and press enter (replace my IP/port with your XBMC IP/port):
http://192.168.1.10:80/jsonrpc?request={...%22id%22:1}

That should work in Chrome (but doesn't work in IE, not sure about other browsers).

You should get a response along the lines of: {"id":1,"jsonrpc":"2.0","result":"pong"}

Important: do this from the same PC/tablet that XBMC Buddy is installed on as this tests whether your device can speak to XBMC. As you may have guessed the above command is exactly what XBMC Buddy sends to XBMC when you apply/check your settings. If it doesn't work from the browser then there is probably an issue with your network setup or XBMC setup.

On point (3) above, please check another XBMC app on the same device as XBMC Buddy

XBMC Buddy doesn't generate an error log, but the message you posted only shows if the app can't get a positive response from XBMC when testing the IP/port settings. To rule out one little thing, try actually using the app to send a video URL...it might still work.

Also make sure these are set:
TCP: In System/Settings/Network/Services activate Allow programs on this system to control XBMC for localhost access only and Allow programs on other systems to control XBMC for access from other computers as well

Let me know how it goes
I've updated this app with a couple of new features that might make it more useful to some of you:

1) Added compatibility with username and password on your XBMC device (the app previously only worked if you had blank user/pass)
2) Added the ability to switch between 3 separate profiles so you can use XBMC Buddy with different XBMC devices.

The app is also more robust in testing settings, and a few customization preferences have been added.

I consider the app relatively mature in how it currently functions, and I'm looking for suggestions on what features I can add. Let me know if there is anything cool that XBMC Buddy could do that it currently doesn't.

There's a 2-week free trial. The full version is $1.49 (the lowest price MS allows).
Hey man, works a charm for me.

Though is it possible to also stream a file to it from my PC? Theres some MMA .mkv's Id like to send but not have in my library as I often watch them elsewhere.

Also, when playing youtube links with a playlist, is it possible to have the playlist play through?

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoyDZD7e...nJF6rGmdzg
>is it possible to also stream a file to it from my PC?

Only if you enter the file's location as a URL (e.g. http://192.168.1.2/media/video.mkv). That should work

Due to the way XBMC Buddy works (it doesn't stream the media, it simply passes the URL to XBMC) it's not possible (at least not that I know of) to send a file link because XBMC Buddy will need to know where the file is from XBMC's point of view (if you select "C:\Videos\video.mkv" there is no way for XBMC Buddy to know where that file is located according to XBMC (e.g. the IP address, etc.)

I have tested the functionality, and it is possible if I can work out how to get around the file location issue.

Also, Windows 8/RT is really restrictive when it comes to file access.

>Also, when playing youtube links with a playlist, is it possible to have the playlist play through?

That is up to the Youtube plugin on XBMC. XBMC Buddy only sends a link. Although XBMC Buddy ignores playlist links (it will just send the main video link), I have just tested, and found that XBMC/Youtube plugin will not play a playlist when I send it. If I can work out the correct way to play a Youtube playlist through the plugin I could add this feature.

On a related note, I have tried implementing a manual playlist feature (where you could send a video to play after the current video(s) has finished), but unfortunately XMBC is very hit-and-miss with adding streaming media to a playlist. I found it only worked around half the time (and someone on the forum confirmed that this is a known issue). I wonder if that issue is improved in the latest version.

[email protected]
@grogansoft
Hi,

In order to stream file, you could embed a small http server that stream the file or use UPnP.
Thank you for this handy software :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Buddy for Windows 8/RT0