MKV's will not play please help... its driving me nuts
Hi,

First off I am searched the forums but I cannot find the same issue.

I am trying to play 720 and 1080p mkv files but when I click on the video nothing happens. It ties to play almost like the screen quickly flashes but nothing happens.

I am running Windows 7 x64 with the newest version of xbmc. Hi def use to work like last year and then I believe I screwed with the codecs or updated and this happened.

If someone can help to point me to a thread that would be useful I would greatly appreciate it. As I have spent many hours trying to get this working and im going to throw my media center through a window very soon.

Also I am running a ATI video card with latest drivers (as I updated it last night)

Thanks,
Mark.
You shouldn't really load any codecs at all, XBMC will take care of it all for you. Remove any codec packs or ffmpeg software you might be using then reinstall XBMC.
Perfect I will try that. Does anyone know if there is a tool that exists to scan the computer for codecs. Ive installed and uninstalled so many who knows that is it there.

Tonight I will go through add/remove program and remove any codec related.
have you keept all of your system restore points?
If yes, try the Windows System Restore and choose a restore point that has been cereated before you've installed all the codecs.

Cheers,
Walter
Tried the suggestions

uninstalled all known codecs and reinstalld xbmc and did not work

tried restore points but this has been like this for over a year so they didn't work either.
XBMC doesn't require codecs (they're internal), this tool might help http://www.free-codecs.com/download/code...k_tool.htm

Do your videos play out with VLC (which also doesn't require codecs)? You might be best with a fresh install of the O/S
A good start would be to post a debug log
So it turns out if I right click on the movie and use a different player it works.

The default one is MPC-HC and the player that works to play the mkv's is DVDPlayer.

I use a harmony remote with a Windows Media Center receiver but I can't find the "right click" on the remote.

Is there a way to add the right click to the remote? Or can someone send me a guide or tell me how to change the default player?

Its better then reinstalling the OS...
The default *is* DVDPlayer so you must have changed it at some point. Deleting your playercorefactory.xml should do the trick.
I deleted the playercorefactory.xml from the xbmc folder and that didn't work. Anything else I can try?
What do you mean it didn't work - is mpc-hc still showing as the default player. If so you should delete the playercorefactory file in your userdata folder.
From which folder have you deleted the playercorefactory.xml file?
It should be the one in your userfolder ....

Cheers,
Walter
Have we got an echo in here?
(2012-12-01, 21:35)Trojin601 Wrote: So it turns out if I right click on the movie and use a different player it works.

The default one is MPC-HC and the player that works to play the mkv's is DVDPlayer.

I use a harmony remote with a Windows Media Center receiver but I can't find the "right click" on the remote.

Is there a way to add the right click to the remote? Or can someone send me a guide or tell me how to change the default player?

Its better then reinstalling the OS...
What build of XBMC are you using? & where did you get it from? Are you by any chance using the DSPlayer build?

Unlikely jjd I would have thought, it wouldn't use mpc-hc as a default player. It would show DSPlayer as the default

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV's will not play please help... its driving me nuts0