New to XBMC python scripting
Hi,

I'm new to XBMC (but have a good background with python), and I'm a little bit confused with some XBMC terminology...

Could someone explain me what are the differences between an add-on, a plugin or a simple script, in XBMC?

I started to read the different wiki pages, but they don't all seem to be up-to-date, and it is sometime hard to know if they apply to current stable release, old release or next dev. release...

Thanks for your help,
Frédéric
- All installable extensions are called add-ons. (plugin, script, skin, scraper, service)
- plugin is a kind of add-on which provides virtual folders (filled with listitems). YouTube is a plugin for example.
- script is a "script" *g*. It can have a seperate GUI, it can run Modal. Examples are WhatTheMovie or XBMC Log Uploader.
- Services are scripts which are running in the background and started automatically. Examples are XBMC Library Auto Updater or SimpleDownloader

plugins, scripts and services can be written in python.

If you plan to create an add-on of type "Plugin" I would suggest using http://www.xbmcswift.com/en/latest/ which is a great "pythonic" framework.

regards,
sphere
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
Ok, I see!

I had a look at xbmcswift, and it seems to be very nice. But I think it is better to first write something from scratch, insetad of using a higher level tool which will hide a lot of things. Am I right?

At first, I would like to help geeXboX developers to improve their 'geexbox.updater' add-on:

http://hg.openbricks.org/xbmc-addon-geexbox-updater

which is a script (isn't it?).

Last question: are there somewhere templates for plugins/scripts/..., which I can use to start with a good structure? Or, according to you, what are the existing add-ons I should look at for inspiration?
Frédéric
(2012-11-30, 15:11)fmafma Wrote: I had a look at xbmcswift, and it seems to be very nice. But I think it is better to first write something from scratch, insetad of using a higher level tool which will hide a lot of things. Am I right?
Its your decision. But I would suggest at least splitting the xbmc-part and scraper/business-logic part to different modules/files. You could later then easier switch.

(2012-11-30, 15:11)fmafma Wrote: At first, I would like to help geeXboX developers to improve their 'geexbox.updater' add-on:
http://hg.openbricks.org/xbmc-addon-geexbox-updater
which is a script (isn't it?).
Yes. The type needs to be defined in the addon.xml File.
geexbox Updaters addon.xml:
PHP Code:
9   <extension point="xbmc.python.script"
10             library="default.py" /> 

(2012-11-30, 15:11)fmafma Wrote: Last question: are there somewhere templates for plugins/scripts/..., which I can use to start with a good structure? Or, according to you, what are the existing add-ons I should look at for inspiration?
I don't know any good and up-2-date templates. Just have a look to some smaller add-ons' code. You can clone the official git repositories for the scripts and plugins:
git://xbmc.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/xbmc/plugins
git://xbmc.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/xbmc/scripts

Good luck,
sphere
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
Thanks!

Another question: is it possible to add a main page, like Weather/Video/Music/TV-Live/ and so? I would like to add a page dedicated to home automation (one day!)...
Frédéric
(2012-11-30, 15:11)fmafma Wrote: Last question: are there somewhere templates for plugins/scripts/..., which I can use to start with a good structure? Or, according to you, what are the existing add-ons I should look at for inspiration?

have a go with this one i done for newbies download here
Nope, you can't do this from within the script. The Skin needs to be altered.
But some skins allow adding add-ons to the main page. In confluence you can add the icons down to the media-node (youtube down to video-sections).
(2012-11-30, 16:25)mikey1234 Wrote: have a go with this one i done for newbies download here
Sorry - but this is why I said "I don't know any good and up-2-date templates." Could not resist Wink

Of course you can use mikey1234's template.
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
Thank you both, guys!
Frédéric
my oh my, advertising 3rd party sites again mikey1234? does it ever stop....
amet its only my plugins and you can hardly read them lol

im over in dubai next friday for 10 days

you should see my other one give me 10 minutes and ill get rid
(2012-11-30, 16:58)mikey1234 Wrote: amet its only my plugins and you can hardly read them lol

If you can hardly see them or not is beside the point.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-11-30, 16:58)mikey1234 Wrote: amet its only my plugins and you can hardly read them lol
I meant hub references in the addon

(2012-11-30, 16:58)mikey1234 Wrote: im over in dubai next friday for 10 days

I dare you to take your clothes off in the shopping mall ...

is it true me and the wife cant hold hands

hubs taken out
(2012-11-30, 17:20)mikey1234 Wrote: is it true me and the wife cant hold hands

hubs taken out

you are ok holding hands, no kissing ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to XBMC python scripting0