Linux Anyone with trinity (A6-5400K) on Linux?
Hi,

thanks to the great community with masses of resources I'm close to building my first HTPC for XBMC only.

I've some doubts about the performance on Linux of the integrated Radeon of the A6-5400K though.
Maybe someone could help me out with this...
It should be powerful enough to play wmv, xvid, mp4 up to 1080p, x264 1080p, streaming h264 up to 1080p etc.

I've read a lot of posts stating that the 5400k should be enough for that, but I wonder if this still applies to XBMC on Linux.

I have no idea whether XBMC on Linux is more or less power hungry by itself (codec, etc.) than on Windows, but most importantly the Radeon drivers for Linux aren't as good as those for Windows, so performance for the integrated GPU (no dedicated gfx card should be used) should be less.

So if anyone has experience with the 5400k on Linux with XBMC and 1080p playback it would be awesome if you could share your experience Smile
The installation will be stripped as much as possible and only run XBMC.

Thank you very much,

Max
I use a 5400k with the ASROCK FM2 Mini-itx and 4gb. Using xbmcbuntu and openelenc ( eden and frodo beta builds), I'm having a hard time getting the CPU utilization to pass 20% no matter what I throw at.

Even with the arguably weaker linux support, the xvba devs have done wonders to get the AMD support pretty rock solid. The highest bitrate 1080p mkv encodes can't even make this APU break a sweat.

In addition, the AMD APU is putting out perfect 24p refresh rates, which I struggled with on my old Nvidia setup.

Hope this helps.
Follow this guide if you have an AMD:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996

Works for me. I need to adjust my vsync however. These are very powerful CPUs - don't be put off with benchmarks comparing them to Intel.
This is great news!

Thanks a lot both of you Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone with trinity (A6-5400K) on Linux?1