setting up sms-style text input from my remote
(windowsxp, eden, quartz, harmony one remote)

I've had this working before by editing my keyboard.xml file, but it wasn't quite working fully/properly.

I've just setup a completely fresh install of xbmc (version 11 aka eden) so i have a brand new keyboard.xml and i want to get it right this time.

Is this the right place to post about this kind of issue or is there an existing thread I should use?

Here is some more detail on the kind of things i want to do:

1. summary of question1: sms style text input from remote but still have functional number on my real keyboard when i want to use that. I would like sms style text input but when i had it before, it worked great except now and again when i wanted to put text in with my actual (wireless) keyboard I would have a problem when i wanted to type in a number. for example i would have to press the number 3 button four times to cycle through the letters.

So can i use my remote for inputting text whilst also being able to use the keyboards number keys (top row of numbers since my keyboard doesn't have the side number pad).

2. summary of question 2: skip through lists using remote numbers whilst still being able to use remote numbers for changing channels in pseudotv. I'd like to be able to skip along massive lists by pressing the relevant number button on my remote to skip to that letter. like pressing the 4 button to skip to the part of the list with things beginning with G. I had this working before except when i had pseudoTV on, i couldn't use the number buttons on my remote to change channel.

so i've nearly got it, but just a bit out my depth trying to troubleshoot these issues. surely these are not uncommon requests, maybe somone has a keyboard.xml that already does this, and i could have a copy?

any points/replies/feedback very gratefully received, cheers.
i ended up putting the sms stuff into the global section of my keyboard.xml (this means that in every section of xbmc when i press the number keys on my keyboard they cycle through the alphabet like the number keys in a phone). so therefore when i'm browsing my movies i can press the 5 button on my remote twice in order to skip to movies beginning with K.

then i made a couple of exceptions. i want the numbers to act like normal numbers when i'm watching videos so that i can type in the minute and seconds that i want to skip to. I also want the buttons to respond like numbers when i'm in a search box (aka virtual keyboard). so i edited the <virtualkeyboard> and the <fullscreenvideo> sections of the keymaps to make sure the numbers act like normal numbers in those sections.

pretty sure there's not many people that interested in doing things this way, but if you are unsure how to do any of it then just reply to this thread.
(2012-12-20, 05:08)thebearnecessit Wrote: i ended up putting the sms stuff into the global section of my keyboardx.xml (this means that in every section of xbmc when i press the number keys on my keyboard they cycle through the alphabet like the number keys n a phone). s therefore when i'm browsing my movies i can press the 5 button on my remote twice in orderto skip t movies beginning with K.

then i made a couple of exceptions. i want the numbers to act like normal numbers when i'm watching videos so that i ca type in the minute and seconds that i want to skip to. I also want the button to respond like numbers when i'm in a search box (aka virtual keyboard). so i edited the <virtualkeyboard> and the <fullscreenvide> sections of the keymaps to make sure the number act like normal numbers in those sections.

pretty sure there's not many people tha interested in doing things this way, but if you are unsure how to do any of it then just reply to this thread.

any chance of uploading your keyboard.xml file. I have set my remote up to the point where I can cycle through my movies quickly by pressing a letter on one of the number buttons (jumpsms i think its called) but if I have to input text in a search box I can only type numbers with the numpad on my remote. I haven't a clue whats wrong because before I did a fresh install of xbmc I could input letters with the numpad but didn't have the jump sms feature. Any help would be appreciated.
no problem, do you have any suggestions where i can upload it to?
Any pastebin Big Grin

uNi
Just pm'd you my email. Any paste bin will do aswell if you don't feel comfortable giving out you email. Cheers.
doh. i thought i would need to upload the file so wasnt sure which site to upload the file to.

pasting the contents up to a pastbin site make a lot more sense admittedly Big Grin

and so it is done

http://pastebin.com/rPZT1Kkf

NB have a look at the first two lines of the global section and about the last 10 lines of the global section (because these have been added by me so will likely be useless to you.
It turns out that I had the right file all along. I just forgot to activate a setting in xbmc. Remote control sends keyboard presses. Can't believe I forgot about it lol. Im sure your keyboard file will come in handy for pseudo tv anyways so thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
setting up sms-style text input from my remote0