Pivos AIOS?
I've been reading the XIOS that people seem to be having a good bunch of success with. Has anyone tried the AIOS?
AIOS doesn't run Android, just some really simplified firmware, so there's no way to even install XBMC.
Darnit...Newegg's gotem for $70 after rebate. Sad thanks for the info Ned!
Sad 
(2012-12-02, 10:53)PobjoySpecial Wrote: Pivos just re-branded some Chinese OEM's media player as the XIOS and paid a few XBMC developers to port the software to its AMLogic chip. You can try to find derivatives of the OEM player (e.g. the Sumvision Nano 1 Slim) for cheaper online. Just double-check that what you're buying has the same chip as the XIOS.

Which hurts the development of XBMC for Amlogic as its Pivos backing it, plus those other generics have no-where near the level of customer support Pivos offer.
(2012-12-02, 10:53)PobjoySpecial Wrote: Pivos just re-branded some Chinese OEM's media player as the XIOS and paid a few XBMC developers to port the software to its AMLogic chip. You can try to find derivatives of the OEM player (e.g. the Sumvision Nano 1 Slim) for cheaper online. Just double-check that what you're buying has the same chip as the XIOS.

Incorrect. While the basic design of the box/hardware isn't made by Pivos, the XIOS is not the same product. Depending on what Chinese factory builds these Android boxes, some take shortcuts and use bad parts (some can even fry your TV via the HDMI port because of it). With the XIOS that isn't an issue. Pivos also pays for the proper licenses for video and audio codecs, which actually makes them legal to buy, depending on the country. Pivos also properly tests their firmware and provides real support, and future Pivos firmware isn't flashable to the generic boxes. The source code is still open source, but others will have to compile and test it themselves in order to use it on those generic boxes. Providing that extra service is why the Pivos costs a little more (about $20 more). If you don't think it's worth it, have a read through some of the threads on here about how much of a pain in the ass those other boxes can be.

Which isn't to say that it will always be like this, but I've yet to see another AMLogic-based box that I would recommend over the Pivos. And no, I don't get any money or anything for saying this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pivos AIOS?0