rebuilding video thumbnails
Well, here's something odd. I installed Universal Scraper, added some extra sources under its Artwork settings, and ran the scrape again. This time, it found a few more thumbnails--but still not all of them, a good chunk are still missing.

So that would seem to imply it's some kind of scraping issue. But how can that be, since my movie collection is relatively small and not particularly esoteric, and besides which I've never had an issue with thumbnails before in Eden? Not to mention the fact that many/most of the missing thumbnails have local poster.jpg files that should be being used, but aren't?
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
is your disk full?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
That was the first thing I thought Sad Unfortunately no, half full (or half empty, depending on how optimistic/pessimistic you want to be...lol)
This just gets weirder and weirder. I just found that if I go to the Movie Information screen for one of the movies with the missing thumbnails, and then click Edit -> Choose Artwork, I have no problem picking out a poster artwork that becomes the thumbnail for that movie when I exit.

So it can be assigned manually. Just not automatically by the scrape/update process, apparently..

??
I had this issue initially the first two times I installed Frodo (for Betas 1 and 2) on my Windows HTPC, and ended up having to revert to Eden each time as a result. For me the problem seemed to be that Frodo was preferring odd thumbnails over the ones I wanted - ie, not the posters I wanted. I also tried fiddling with the Textures13.db file and folder having done some forum searching but to no avail. In the end I upgraded to Windows 8 (unrelated) and had to reinstall XBMC from the ground up anyway. I've not removed any of the artwork from the movie folders on my NAS drive, but the artwork problem seems to be fixed now (well, more or less - some tidying is needed but I can do that in due course). I know it's not exactly a perfect solution but in the end it may be less fiddly and less time-wasting to just clean install.

It does seem weird to me that more people haven't had this problem when upgrading to Frodo, but then again I'm quite a novice at all this so it may just be that other people worked out a way around it.
CPU: AMD Llano A6-3500 2.40GHz APU - MoBo: Gigabyte A75N-USB3 AMD A75 - RAM: Corsair Value 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz - Storage: 128GB SSD, 500GB HD - Case: Streacom FC7 Silver - ODD: Sony AD-7640S Slot Load DVD+RW Drive
Okay, more research into this problem to pass along.

I just examined the "art" table in the xbmc_video75 database on my NAS, using phpMyAdmin. I sorted it by media type so that I could look at all the movies together. I then started examining the artwork/thumbnail URL's that each movie used where "type" was "poster", and compared it to my ATV2's movie library to see if I could find a pattern.

Some of the movies had poster URL's that pointed to my local files. For instance, for "Jaws", the URL points to: "nfs://192.168.1.211/volume3/movies/Jaws (1975)/Jaws 1.1975.DVDRip-aXXo.tbn". That thumbnail displays in my movie library.

Some of the movies had a poster URL that pointed to cf1.imgobject.com or cf2.imgobject.com. Of these, if the URL pointed to a valid image (i.e., I could enter the URL in Firefox and I could see an image), then I indeed was able to see that image in my library. Oddly, some of my movies pointed to these cf1 or cf2 external links, even though I have poster.jpg files locally on my NAS.

However, if I tried entering one of those cf1 or cf2 links in Firefox for movies where I don't have visible thumbnails, I got an error like this in Firefox:

Code:
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>066192A19EDDD8B4</RequestId>
<HostId>xan7tnYrR//l3CXqr4WfOArVn7n1AjfLzGxI8fy8CFW6bVlaNDBEpMivd5eNYL7Y</HostId>
</Error>

For instance, here's one that is giving me that error:
http://cf1.imgobject.com/posters/559/4bc...iginal.jpg

And here's one that is working for me, where I see the thumbnail in my library:
http://cf2.imgobject.com/t/p/original/kQ...d8YTVJ.jpg

So....access denied trying to access these external cf1 or cf2.imgobject.com links. That would explain why those images are not being displayed in my library obviously.

But I'm still not quite sure why I'm having that problem with some-but-not-all of those links, and I'm still not sure why XBMC is passing over my local poster.jpg files in favour of trying to use these external images.

Still hoping one of our esteemed developers will chime in here...
waiiiiiiiit a minute. I have yet to find a working link to any URL at "cf1.imgobject.com". The working URL links are all at "cf2.imgobject.com".

Not only that, but the formation of the URL for cf1 and cf2 is different:

-- cf1.imgobject.com has this format:
http://cf1.imgobject.com/posters/[3-digit alphanumeric]/[24-digit alphanumeric]/[movie-with-dashes-between-words]-original.jpg

--cf2.imgobject.com has this format:
http://cf2.imgobject.com/t/p/original/[27-digit alphanumeric].jpg

Not sure if that's significant, but I've definitely narrowed it down to the fact that no cf1.imgobject.com thumbnail is being displayed in my movie library, whereas every cf2.imgobject.com thumbnail IS being displayed.

and, here's a thread on themoviedb.org talking about the issue. They haven't used cf1.imgobject.com since 2011? So then it seems that one of two possibilities is true:

(1) my database is not scraping "from scratch", despite the fact that I'd completely deleted it and started fresh;

or

(2) the database IS scraping "from scratch", and there's some kind of scraper problem because it's trying to grab cf1.imgobject.com URL's, which haven't been in use since early 2011.

http://help.themoviedb.org/discussions/p...ges-broken
In the update from Eden -> Frodo XBMC takes the local or remote URL and copies your already cached image as the cached image for that URL.

Thus, while it may be an invalid URL, if you already have an old cached version it will copy it as the cached copy during that update.

If you subsequently delete either the texture database or the cached texture files then XBMC can no longer retrieve it, and the only solution is refreshing stuff.

You're welcome to look through the scraper and note that we only use cf2.imgobject.com. Note that if you have .nfo files with the old URLs in them, then those will be used. My guess is this is the source of the problem. (Pro tip: If there's an issue scraping, then 99 times out of 100 it's because the user has .nfo files in place...)

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks Jonathan. I checked, and I do have NFO files. I tried deleting one, then updating the library, but it still does not show the thumbnail.

I'm guessing, if I'm reading you correctly, that I need to first delete all my NFO files, then delete the mysql video library, and then rerun the library update?
To test, you'd:

1. Delete the .nfo file for a movie.
2. Refresh that movie in XBMC.
3. Check it in the main movie views in confluence.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Well, I had some time on my hands and figured I'd just give it a go; so, I deleted my mysql video database, deleted all my NFO files except for those I've created for some local home movies, and Set Content again for the "movies" source folder. After XBMC went through it all, now I see almost all my thumbnails--just the odd one or two missing, which seem to be from my DVD's that I have backed up (rather than individual AVI files). "Get Artwork" solved the problem for those one or two DVD's.

Thanks very much again for your help! Great to have this solved.
Cool. You'll find the DVD ones are probably because you have them inside the VIDEO_TS folder, which is no longer supported. Pop 'em in the parent and all will be good.

Right-o, that did the trick. Thanks!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
rebuilding video thumbnails0