Cheap HTPC for XBMC
So I just wrapped up a FM1 build for myself for work, but I am thinking about building another setup. I have a large music library on my computer upstairs in FLAC format. I would like to be able to play that library DOWNSTAIRS in my nice HT setup. I do not have any way of doing that currently as none of my devices will play back FLAC.

I could get a Sonos or a Squeezebox Touch, or even something like a Western Digital TV (I think it plays FLAC), but I think I can probably build a little Mini-ITX machine for about the same cost that will do all this.

I am looking to run XBMC as my Media Player and dont know if I should run Windows 7 or just a linux build of XMBC. I will not be using this for 3D, playback of DVD/blu-ray rips or anything fancy. I just need to be able to navigate my music library and send the signal out via HDMI. I am not planning on using anything other than a remote to control things, and preferably be able to program my Logitech Harmony One to work with this setup.

I am curious if I should be looking at a FM1, FM2, or even a E-350 build for this. The thing I like about the E-350 is that lots of the boards are passive which is good as I would like to keep noise to a min and if possible no noise other than possibly a case fan. With that said I will be far enough away some small noise wouldnt kill me either, heck my Xbo360 is ridiculously loud. I am wanting to keep the cost as low as possible on the components. I have a couple thoughts on some specific components so I will start a list of what I think I should get.

CPU/GPU: ??
Heatsink (if needed): ?? (If an FM1 or FM2 build I could buy a Noctua NH-L9i which I just installed in my first build and its awesome, but I could re-use the Silverstone NT-07 heatsink I have no use for as well, its just a bit louder than the Noctua)
Motherboard: ??
Case: Wesena IXT-2 or ITX-5 (am open to other options but it needs to look nice and not like a computer, prefer a IR window in front so I dont have to connect a USB dongle, or have to have USB ports up front)
Powersupply: Pico Powersupply either 120 watt or 90 watt whatever is recommended
Memory: ??
Accessories: ??

I look forward to thoughts from everyone on whats the cheapest (but quality) computer I can put together to stream media. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap HTPC for XBMC0