Win Shared Database but LOCAL on main machine
Hi everyone,

Ive set up the shared mysql database to use with my apple tv's and my main HTPC / server and its working great. However the only slight problem is, the main htpc which is the server its actually connecting through to itself over the network. Basically if I unplug my ethernet it wont work, even though its the server machine. Also theres the slight performance issue aswell, for example when scrolling fast on the movie posters I get blanks from where its trying to read the database for a split second, its not as fluid as before setting up the mysql side.

So I was wondering if its possible to get the main machine to see the database as a local database but still keep the apple tvs remotely connected to it. If that makes sense.

Your advancedsettings.xml will be pointing your server machine to it's own shared database over the network. No ethernet = no network = database.

MySQL is slower than a normal database. How many items are in your Movies/TV Shows?
In your advancedsettings.xml on the server machine are you substituting the path for thumbnails? If so removing that (only on that machine) might help speed up thumbnails because it won't have to get them over the network.
Yeh exactly, so I was wondering if there was a way to have the same setup but without the main machine referencing itself over the network. But ill try that thumbnail trick.
I don't think there is. Can I ask why you need to?
Use address 127.0.0.1
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Well I want to it for performance reasons. Its a shame having the HTPC having to connect to itself over the network and creating a bit of lag etc when its all on the same machine. Before all this it was very very smooth, but now its not as smooth. So I was wondering if it could be set up to act locally on the HTPC but others would still connect to it.

I had a look and I dont have the thumbsubstitution on the main machine, only the apple tvs.

This is the xml file

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <setting>value</setting>
    <jsonrpc>
    <compactoutput>false</compactoutput>
    <tcpport>5051</tcpport>
</jsonrpc>
       <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>localhost</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </videodatabase>
    <musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>localhost</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </musicdatabase>
</advancedsettings>
Do you have a lot of media?

I noticed that the MySQL shared library wasn't a quick as a normal one when I made the switch but I just put up with it for what it does give me.

If I continuous scroll down through my movies it slows down thumbs start getting missing images. If I navigate via letter it's fine and can't tell the difference.
do the localhost thing for MySQL and then maybe path substitution (wiki) for the file paths for the local machine. Path subs should be used with caution, though.
Well, after some more reading ive just cleaned my whole database droped the mysql tables and updated the whole system to Frodo. Its not a problem as all the artwork is stored with the video files so just scanning it all back in.

It saids Frodo handles the thumbnails and each machine has its own local copy of the thumbs but they are still synced. So no more substitution. Also apparently using hostnames in the xml is slower than using IP so I changed that back to using an IP. Lets see how it goes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shared Database but LOCAL on main machine0