Micro stutter but no dropped frames?!
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum so bare with me!

I've had XBMC for over a year now and love it. I've got all my settings good and my playback is almost perfect apart from I keep getting really subtle stutters every minute or so but xbmc displays no dropped frames!

I've got video and audio out through HDMI and change display to match refresh rate. All of my content at the moment is 25hz but will soon be adding 24hz content. The fps jumps around 25 by around 0.20 below and above it, is this normal?

I have an ati 5450 with everything disabled apart from GPS scaling and itc processing. I did have enforce smooth playback on but it seems to be smoother disabled. DXVA is on in xbmc also. I'm running frodo beta 2 at the minute but this has been an issue for a while.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Michael

Have you try it with DXVA disabled in XBMC and select software as render method?.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Okay I disabled DXVA and selected software but that was worse. I then put render method to auto and it seems to have kept the fps at the exact framerate which is definitely an improvement and it seems smoother. I can still notice a few tiny stutters but they are a lot less frequent.

Which render method should I choose from the lanczos and all that do you think?

And also should I keep enforce smooth playback enabled in ati ccc?

Thanks

(2012-12-04, 01:14)Paskov92 Wrote: Which render method should I choose from the lanczos and all that do you think?
What's lanczos?

(2012-12-04, 01:14)Paskov92 Wrote: And also should I keep enforce smooth playback enabled in ati ccc?

Thanks
I selected "enforce smooth playback" in CCC.

Have you update the latest AMD driver from here- AMD Driver Autodetect?

Microstuttering and lag playback is an all-too-known issue with HTPC, and it is very hard to fix. You might have issues with AMD installs services to write to the Event Logs called ATIeRecord and eRecordEnablePopups. If the logs are huge and fragmented, then it will record while playback, and the recording lag from bad fragmented system files will stall HTPC performance with stutters and lags.

You can disable the services by get into REGEDIT. It is set to (1) by default which enables it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Atierecord]
"eRecordEnable"=dword:0x0000000 (0)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Atierecord]
"eRecordEnablePopups"=dword:0x0000000 (0)

You can try "balanced or high performance" power options in Windows control panel too....
Sorry I meant the scaling method within the video OSD.

I turned DXVA off and put render method to auto with the scaling method as bilinear and that seems to have cured my problem! I also enabled enforce smooth playback again on ccc so it all seems good so thanks for your help!

But it appears that I will have problems when I put my 24p material on there today, any tips for that?
(2012-12-04, 11:55)Paskov92 Wrote: Sorry I meant the scaling method within the video OSD.

I turned DXVA off and put render method to auto with the scaling method as bilinear and that seems to have cured my problem! I also enabled enforce smooth playback again on ccc so it all seems good so thanks for your help!

But it appears that I will have problems when I put my 24p material on there today, any tips for that?
You can try to enable auto refresh rate in XBMC....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Micro stutter but no dropped frames?!0