Trials and Tribulations with 1st HTPC
Components:
GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I33225
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00
SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum skin reinforced plastic front panel, 0.8mm SECC body MILO Series ML03B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Western Digital WD Green WD7500AARX 750GB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Tried XBMCbuntu and had terrible experience, worked fine till I tried going through HDMI cable, movies would play for a couple minutes then screen would go black, could wake it back up after some fiddling, but not always. Even when it played video it would get small streaks every few seconds.

Tried Windowed mode but buntu would not let me select any resolutions other than a single one and that was 1/4 of the screen with no way to make it bigger.

Switched to Windows XP, updated to Service Pack 3, and set the resolution of Windows to 1280 x 720 lines, set XBMC to full screen and ran Fellowship of the Ring for about 45 minutes with no streaks or black screening.

My only problem is that XP absolutely will not support the IR remote, and I have tried 6 or 7 different things from around the web to get working drivers, no luck.

The remote DID work on a Windows 7 system no sweat, and it worked on XBMCbuntu right out of the box, my question is, Has anyone tried running Windows 8 to see if the Windows 7 drivers carry over? Since I don't think I need to get another graphics card for this HTPC box, I don't mind so much going Win8 so I can also set up a Netflix tile, and any other useful movie watching app when I want to get an alternate stream of video to this system.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trials and Tribulations with 1st HTPC0