My XBMC dual display solution
There are multiple threads regarding issues with XBMC and dual displays (computer monitors, laptops, TVs, projectors, etc) and I think I read them all. I am an XBMC noob, but I have researched this and hope this post makes it easier for others to trouble shoot. Windows only.
One problem that people encounter is that they use true fullscreen for XBMC on display 2 and then XBMC loses focus (minimizes) when they work on display one. Some report this occurring secondary to a Windows process stealing the focus. If you switch to use fullscreen window this seems to not happen and XBMC maintains focus. You can also use XBMC launcher (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798) and set it to refocus XMBC at regular intervals.

The bigger issue is that if display 2 is turned off, then XBMC will switch over to display one. When display 2 is turned back on, XBMC will not move back over. Very annoying since XBMC does not show up on my projector when I turn it on, only a windows desktop background. If you turn off XBMC and restart, it should then see display 2 and open there. If you use windowed mode then Windows should keep a program on the monitor that it was on, even if that monitor is turned off. If you use this setting you get the window bar at the top of the screen which is not good.
What you have to consider is why you need two displays. I do so I can work on the HTPC which is in the utility room behind the movie room. There is a youtube video of someone who is running XBMC on two displays, where the library is on one and the movie is on the other. Ultimately, what I realized is that I don't need to work on the HTPC while viewing a movie. Someone posted about having the primary display set at the same resolution as the XBMC display so I bought a refurb 1080p Dell monitor and have my new projector also set to 1080p. I then set the displays to duplicate, rather than extend. XBMC is now on both displays. When the projector, which is fed by my receiver, is turned on XBMC is there. If I need to do any work on the HTPC I just close XBMC and restart when I am done. I have not tried going back to true fullscreen yet, but will, since this will apparently give better resolution.
Until there is a reliable script to send XBMC to a second display when it is detected or XBMC supports running two displays, which some games apparently do I will continue to use duplicate displays.

Some other threads:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104790&page=2
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145997
Kodi On HTPC: Dell Vostro slim 200 with W7 SP1, core 2 duo 1.6, 3G RAM, ASUS 6570 slim 1G with catalyst drivers. Synology NAS.
Duplicate displays: Dell 22" led monitor and Epson 5010 projector.
Kodi on Amazon fire stick.
Hi Eric,

Do you have a link to the Youtube video you mention? Any idea how the user configured that?
Here it is, found it right away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_XOaxQasrg
Post back if you figure something cool out.
E
Kodi On HTPC: Dell Vostro slim 200 with W7 SP1, core 2 duo 1.6, 3G RAM, ASUS 6570 slim 1G with catalyst drivers. Synology NAS.
Duplicate displays: Dell 22" led monitor and Epson 5010 projector.
Kodi on Amazon fire stick.
I think this comment from the video author sugges this only works for the netflix addon:

XBMC Flicks Add-on 1.0.21
- Browse Netflix from within XBMC

- Opens movies onto Monitor #1 while UI resides on Monitor #2

***- If one opens IE in the second monitor, maximizes it, and closes it before using XBMC Flicks they can proceed to open Netflix videos in full screen on that monitor automatically in the future. Make sure to tell IE to always remember to keep that screen in Full Screen mode while operating other windows.

Maybe web control on the touchscreen is the only way to go Sad
Here's my setup:

Intel HD graphics on board i5 connected to LCD monitor via DVI (in den)
NVidia GT610 connected to AV receiver (to plasma) via HDMI (in family room)

with this setup, I run XBMC on the NVidia in full screen mode. People in family room watch without issues, even when someone is using the same PC in den.

The family room controls xbmc via constellation.

Finally, the turning tv off popping xbmc back to primary screen... This is windows' behaviour. To get around this, I put some electrical tape on pin 19 of the HDMI cable. After doing this the desktop might not show on tv the first time. Need to do a full detection from your graphics driver utility... Read this fully:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Foru...c80a21fdc2
Sad 
Hi everybody,
I really want to bring this topic up again, as it is driving me nuts ...

I have same problem in my living room,
HTPC (fanless arctic MC001, Win7 64, ATI mobility, always on),
VGA -> 23" main Monitor screen
HDMI -> Marantz receiver -> Samsung 55" TV screen

After fanless HTPCs are available, I trashed my media players and enjoy XBMC again (which I love and used from early days on on XBox1) and I´m happy with the possibilities and my setup.
BUT when switching off receiver and TV I loose the HDMI screen.
IF (happening not always) XBMC closes then automatically, next time it will start on Monitor, which forces me to go through the submenues again.

I understand the crappy way of Windows handling HDMI, but isn´t there any way forcing XBMC to choose a preferred output?

Cutting of the HDMI PIN sometimes made my situation better on short power offs, but not on longer (guessing some additional energy saving mechanism involved). I also tried a HDMI splitter to simulate a screen - no success.

Also I am struggling with (I guess) CEC signals closing programs when I switch off my receiver.

The mirroring workaround sounds clever, although I am really working on my Main cumputer screen when simultaniously listening music.

Does anybody have some real solutions?
Is there a way to bring this into the XBMC Code?

Thanks,
Chris
(2013-05-22, 21:21)koerc Wrote: Is there a way to bring this into the XBMC Code?

Not exactly what you are looking for, but you might be interested nevertheless:

Lots of work on good multimonitor support has been done for linux in (what started as) the XVBA build.
This is nearing completion to be included in / folded back into XBMC code but be aware this process could still easily take several months, if I understood the main developers correctly.
It is a huge code rewrite of a lot of aspects of videorendering.
Thank you very much. Will hope and pray this happens.

(2013-05-22, 22:11)Kibje Wrote:
(2013-05-22, 21:21)koerc Wrote: Is there a way to bring this into the XBMC Code?

Not exactly what you are looking for, but you might be interested nevertheless:

Lots of work on good multimonitor support has been done for linux in (what started as) the XVBA build.
This is nearing completion to be included in / folded back into XBMC code but be aware this process could still easily take several months, if I understood the main developers correctly.
It is a huge code rewrite of a lot of aspects of videorendering.
hey thar. i am outputting xbmc from my laptop via HDMI, win 7..with 'extended display' selected, the 'show fullscreen #2' option works and xbmc chugs away nicely on the second monitor. but whenever i switch apps on the main monitor (ie. my laptop screen), xbmc gets 'sent to the back' and gets minimised on the second monitor (audio still plays, though). wtf? how can i stop this from happening? is there an 'always keep in foreground' option for the second monitor?

edit: fixed this by enabling that 'fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen' option. as usual, xbmc ftw!
Thank you ext23 that work for me
I struggled with trying to work and watch something on a second screen for a while after installing Kodi. It always worked before Kodi.
The solution is very simple.

Go to system menu and click on it and then click on system again or go to system menu and click on the settings drop down menu.
Choose system again and click on video output.
Choose Windowed
This will allow you to open Kodi on either monitor and drag it to the monitor you wish to use for viewing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My XBMC dual display solution0