Apple TV 2 - Still worth it these days?
Hi all,

Just my two cents worth. I own an ATV2 and a Raspberry Pi and IMO there isn't a great deal of difference between the two with regarding to streaming movies/tv shows etc over the internet. However, this is all i use them for (and want them for). Obviously, XBMC has a lot more to it.

I was lucky because i bought ATV3 and was able to swap with a work colleague how had no interest in XBMC or jailbreaking etc. But the prices are just silly for them now. Performance wise and as a cheaper alternative to ATV2 i would recommend going down the Raspberry Pi route. Im using Openelec on my Pi (Tuxens image) and it works great. I'm able to use it with an old media centre remote and have it working wirelessly without any problems with streaming. There are lots of great plugins available for it and good support for it overall especially over on XBMCHUB.

(2012-12-06, 13:19)Ned Scott Wrote: The wifi on the ATV2 is horrible, so that's probably why. It's limited by the hardware at something like 60megs possible max, with averages much lower. It has nothing to do with what the ATV2 natively supports or not. The file container doesn't matter, because the same raw data (h.264 video) is supported in the ATV2's hardware.

Cool thanks for the info, I kind of figured it was the wifi. I even have an extender in the same room as the atv2 so I know the thing is getting a full signal cause my computer in the same room also has a really strong signal. Unfortunately, hard wiring my units isn't an option right now so I've been sticking with plex until the final components for my htpc come in the mail and I can get to buildin!
another question about that though... does that mean I'm going to be getting inferior video quality streaming from plex server than if I were streaming through xbmc?
Yeah, this thread has been helpful for me as well. Maybe I'll check into the Rasberry Pi to get my feet wet with XBMC.
(2012-12-06, 19:24)rip_king Wrote: another question about that though... does that mean I'm going to be getting inferior video quality streaming from plex server than if I were streaming through xbmc?

Yes, but it might not really be noticeable, depending on various things.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 2 - Still worth it these days?0