Win Eden on Windows 7 64bit (good or bad)?
Sad 
Firstly apologies for the length of this post. I ran Dharma and Eden without fault on a P4 Shuttle X with Ubuntu, sadly this trusty little box has now gone to silicon heaven.

So after browsing ebay I managed to get a HP DC7800 SFF. This came with Windows 7 Pro 64 installed, while I realise eden is 32 bit I was not expecting the pretty awful lagging and generally sluggish use of XBMC.

Browsing the libraries is jerky, as are menu fades, bringing up the exit/shutdown menu is also very jerky and slow to respond to inputs when navigating the menu, actually pretty much all the menus are like that.

Launching a movie reacts reasonably well but trying to jump forward or backwards through the playback results in the movie freezing for around 10 seconds.

A friend of mine runs Eden on less capable hardware but using Windows 32bit without any issues so I am assuming it just doesn't like Windows 64? Or is there something more to this, Ive read on some forums to turn the power management to Max/High but it hasn't made any difference.

I would actually like to return to using Linux but (and this is my understanding of what I've read so correct me if I'm wrong) the new HP has a ATI5450 HD card which I would like to use for decoding so as to help avoid spanking the CPU and the associated fan noise.

Would I be correct in thinking that ATI hardware decoding is only available when using Windows and DXVA2?

Specs of HP are:- Core2Duo E6550 4GB RAM 1 x 160GB (Windows) 1 x 2TB (Media) ATI/AMD HD5450 - currently using onboard SoundMax audio but will change that as soon as I can find a decent half height card with SPDIF out (recommendations?)

Advice, recommendations and corrections gratefully received.

Thanks
Windows 7 64 bit is fine with the amount of ram you're running. 64 bit is backwards compatable with 32 bit so I doubt your problem is with the OS.
Your spec should be fine with W7 64bit and XBMC.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for the replies, I have decided to leave the darkside and return to Linux. The only reservation I had was that hardware video acceleration might not work but it works just fine. XBMC now runs as smooth as melted chocolate, only thing to do now is get my M-Audio Transit working in Ubuntu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Eden on Windows 7 64bit (good or bad)?0