Rk3066 Beta 2 and 3
Both betas are playing mkv's in software mode.

Im using a rk3066 HDMI stick with android 4.1.1, I havent noticed any issue's other than that.
And what is the issue then?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-12-08, 13:59)Memphiz Wrote: And what is the issue then?
2fps
Yeah hw decoding is not yet supported for android (only for pivos box as of now)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Understood, just thought i read somewhere hw decoding was working on cpu's with NEON extensions.
I understand that work on the hardware acceleration is being worked on and there is no ETA yet. The only thing that I'm curious about is whether the solution is far from being solved (i.e. "we still haven't figured this out") or the solution is within reach (i.e. just some more grunt work and coding is needed). Indeed, in reading some of the old threads about the problem, it appeared to me that the solution was no where in sight.

In either case, I love the Windows version and look forward to the Android version when it is finally done. Thanks for your hard work!
Totally unofficial, subject to complete change, take with a gain of salt.

The following seem to have bright futures regarding hardware decoding, from my fly-on-the-wall perspective:

AMLogic devices - this one is obvious because we get support for some AMLogic devices directly from the core Pivos work, and that could spill over to other AMLogic devices (technically already has).

Tegra 3 devices- Since we said we would support Ouya, that could spill over to other Tegra 3 devices as well. Also, almost half (or more) of XBMC's devs seem to have Nexus 7's... :)

Exynos devices - Samsung's chip, and what you'll find on the very awesome ODROID series of dev boards (that are cheap enough that they'll probably make for great ARM HTPCs). Not only are their CPUs powerful enough to handle software decoding of some files in 720, but there's some early work being done with hardware decoding and there's already some proof-of-concept XBMC builds that hardware decode h.264 in 1080. This could spill over to other Samsung powered devices.

There's work that's been done (not sure if it's still being worked on, or if abandoned, as far as Team XBMC goes) on Allwinner A10 devices, but the libraries that Allwinner provided have tons of bugs. Last I heard was that things were progressing at a snail's pace as far as getting help from Allwinner, and our devs were basically strung around by them in the past. I get the strong feeling that Allwinner A10 is a dead-end for XBMC as of right now.

There's also some "catch all/some" work being done that will work on multiple chipsets with something called libstagefright. When you look at the Pull Request ( https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1832 ) you get a tiny window on what just some of the issues that are faced when any of these solutions are attempted. To me, this seems like a very exciting development, but I also don't understand most of what the devs are talking about in that discussion :)

I'm not sure, but I also believe that something called OpenMax is also another attempt for "catch all/some" work.

I suspect that any ARM/Android devices that use Broadcom hardware video decoding might be able to take advantage of what we know from the Raspberry Pi, but I could be completely wrong about that (total speculation there).

These are just the examples that I can think of off the top of my head. The devs also work on things in their own code repos and only bring things up when they're at a point where they either need to collaborate with other team members, or enough work has been done to merge, or something like that. For example, I didn't even know about the Exynos work until after the ODROID people posted a youtube video showing XBMC playing 1080 videos on their hardware. So there's various things at various stages.

As always, we don't want to get anyone's hopes up, and more importantly, we don't want to be responsible for anyone buying something that turns out to later not work (outside of the few devices that we've said will work, which I think are just the Pivos XIOS and Ouya). Just know that there is very active work being done on this, and the end result will likely make for a great selection (hopefully "most") of Android and/or ARM HTPCs.

EDIT: And for those who are wondering about why other media players are able to work with hardware decoding already, but XBMC doesn't have it yet: XBMC is an open source project and any hardware video decoding code that's directly inside of XBMC also needs to be open source. We also can't use stuff that requires us to withhold code do to Non-disclosure agreements (and even if we could, GPL wise, I don't think most of our devs would like that). Most of what you see that works with hardware decoding involves stuff with NDAs or some kind of closed source code.
Wow! Thanks Ned for such a detailed reply. It has definitely given me much hope now that eventually the developers will have it working. Great also to read that they already have an ODROID playing 1080 videos. I'm going to hunt down that video on YT now.

Thanks again!

:D
Thanks for shedding some very detailed light on that. Can wait to see how it will perform on my exynos 4412 tablet!
odroid is not hw decoding yet! The video was done with overclocking to 2GHz and software decoding. There are still mali drivers missing for linux on odroid (thx to samsung for being a lame ass company). But it will ... (unrelated to android. On the odroid series i for myself will focus on linux)
do they have hw decode under android ?
davilla yes with diceplayer for example.
Hi I am new to the Android side of xbmc
I use xbmc on windows and mac PCS linking to my NAS drives and it is great
I bought a JUSTOP Android 4.0 TV Box HD with the hope of playing my NAS films through this
I have installed Plex but don't think much about it
I have now installed xbmc version12 beta3, it launches, but takes some time to scan for new content and it will not start playing the films. I also note that the RSS feed stops and starts
Does anyone have any idea as to what is wrong and how it could be fixed?

Gordon
(2012-12-09, 23:21)Memphiz Wrote: davilla yes with diceplayer for example.

Is it possible to just use the android video player? I doubt all play every format but mine plays mkv's without a problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rk3066 Beta 2 and 3 0